New 2016 XPS 13 Kabylake

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by iMbaQ, Sep 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iMbaQ

iMbaQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Available to order in the US: http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-13-9360-laptop
    Available to order in the UK: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/xps-13-9360-laptop/pd?ref=PD_OC

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...windows-10-in-new-colors/#Dl2Xh7JRjGtW9cqS.97

Some interesting points:

• Powered by Windows 10
    • New beautiful, Rose Gold color available in two configurations:
      • Intel 7th Generation Core i5; 8GB memory; 256GB SSD; 13.3-inch FHD
      • Intel 7th Generation Core i7; 8GB memory; 256GB SSD; 13.3-inch QHD+ with Touch
    • New larger 60WHr battery delivering longer battery life, up to 22 hours on FHD and up to 13 hours on QHD+
    • New Killer 1535 Wireless-AC technology for strong and reliable WiFi connection
    • Stunning 13.3-inch screen in an 11-inch frame
    • Weight starting at 2.7lbs and measuring a super slim 9-15mm
    • Constructed with machined aluminum, carbon fiber and Corning Gorilla Glass for incredible durability and stunning design
    So, new colour, bigger battery and a new wifi adapter.

What do you think is the chance that the FHD version has the dynamic contrast fix implemented? If so, I might instant buy this once available. Shame they couldn't find a better solution about the web cam.

As nice as QHD is, do not think it is worth it on 13inch for the battery and performance hit it comes with. Besides, a matte screen is too good.

I wonder if the i7 is worth the £50, or if you are better off with the i5 model for less noise/heat (the i7 will probably throttle enough to not really be much better than the i5?)

2. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Rose Gold is Apple's fancy word for "pink." :)

At first my jaw dropped, because I thought it was a gigantic leap in battery size. But then I looked up the XPS 13 9350 battery size, and it's 56Whr. :( So, between battery size and Kaby Lake power efficiency, you'll probably get a small bump in real-world battery life. But nothing monumental. Too bad :(

Everyone on this sub-forum already knows about this. But I just like mentioning it again, because it's the best part about the XPS 13!!!

I'm not familiar with this issue. But my guess is that if the FHD (1080p) model was affected, there's a pretty good chance this fix applies. Something like Dynamic Brightness is controlled by a light sensor and the BIOS (and OS software, once you're booted); and that is hardware & software that is external to the display panel itself.

So if Dynamic Contrast also uses physical light sensor hardware and the BIOS, then the FHD model would also have that hardware & software.

As nice as QHD is, do not think it is worth it on 13inch for the battery and performance hit it comes with. Besides, a matte screen is too good.

It won't really matter. The only major differences between the Core i5-7200U and Core i7-7500U are:
    • Slightly faster clock speeds (Core i5-7200U is 2.5Ghz base / 3.2Ghz boost | Core i7-7500U is 2.7Ghz base / 3.5Ghz boost)
    • Slightly faster GPU clock (1000Mhz vs 1050Mhz).
    • L3 Cache 3MB vs 4MB

None of that will really affect anything you do in terms of real-world performance, because the differences in clock speed are so minor. You also will not get any noticeable difference in heat or noise because they are all 15W TDP parts.

In previous generations, a Core i7 would either have more cores and/or Hyperthreading as advantages over the Core i5. It's really a shame that the Kaby Lake Core i7 only has slightly faster clock speeds, and was only labeled a Core i7 for marketing purposes.

3. mva5580

mva5580 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I have a question for people who have a decent amount of experience with the XPS 13, preferably the most recent 9350 model.

I'm interested in getting this, and what I'm wondering about is let's say I was interested in using this for gaming purposes, but ONLY games that are not really all that intensive. When I say this I mean the absolute only types of games I would play would be things like Civilization VI, Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis IV, Stellaris, Cities Skylines, maybe Minecraft, and older games, stuff like Baldurs Gate, Alpha Centauri, etc.

Now I understand even on this laptop games like that aren't going to run "perfect," but if I'm running the 1080p model with an i7 (or i5 if there isn't enough difference to justify price,) 16gb RAM, and a 256/512gb SSD, how would the XPS 13 handle it? And how much of an improvement do we think the Kaby Like integrated graphics are going to be?

4. kent1146

kent1146 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'd say that gaming on a Dell XPS 13 is very do-able; especially since you've already tempered your expectations, and are playing strategy & RPG games where super-high framerates aren't an absolute necessity.

To give you an idea, people have posted videos showing them playing even CS:Go and Overwatch on an integrated Intel 520 GPU. You'll need to crank down resolution and detail settings, but it's do-able.

Expect Kaby Lake's Intel HD 620 graphics to add about 40% more power. So if you're looking to do gaming on a Dell XPS 13, it's definitely worth waiting to buy a Kaby Lake system.

Screen resolution doesn't really matter. Buy the screen you want, and ignore the implications on gaming. We've been trained to only accept running games at native resolution. But that training comes from experience on the desktop side. For something like a 13" laptop, the pixel density on the 3200x1800 screen is so high that you won't notice pixel interpolation if you run at non-native resolution. There are dis/advantages to both the 1800p and the 1080p screen. So I'd say buy the screen you want, because pixel interpolation for gaming is a non-issue when you're dealing with such high pixel density.

5. rm501

rm501 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Good luck finding an i7/16GB model with 1080 display.
    Dell seems to force you to take the QHD with high end models.
    That's the only reason I went for X1 carbon.
    If you do find it however please post here or drop me quick PM.
    Would appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G925K using Tapatalk

6. emike

emike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Eason

Eason Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The fans don't come on until 90C? WTF, Dell. The review is showing the newest kaby lake models to be throttling, overheating ripoffs.

8. gymrat2k

gymrat2k Newbie

Reputations:
    I've just gotten mine (i7, FHD, 8/256). Can't install Intel XTU, "Attempted to install on an unsupported platform."

Geekbench 4 benchmark: https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/594374
    Coil whine noticed only when using USB monitor (Asus MB169B+).

9. kirkyboy

kirkyboy Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do you have the automatic brightness control? if so, anything in the bios to disable?

You should try Youtube maybe on Chrome it should use hardware decoder now for the VP9 I believe it is, also it will do hardware decode for HEVC.

10. gymrat2k

gymrat2k Newbie

Reputations:
    When using the test at http://tylerwatt12.com/dc/ I get a five second loading of the Dell Logo.
    In bios version 1.0.0 I can't find any menu or control for Automatic Brightness on the FHD display.

Cinebench R15:
    • OpelGL: 45.74 fps
    • Ref match: 97.7 %
    • CPU: 336 cb
    • CPU (single core): 143 cb
    • MP Ratio: 2.35 x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.