New 2012 Models Speculation Thread - WxxxER Series (W110ER, W150ER, W170ER)

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by gzhang, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uopnvidia

uopnvidia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    woot this thread is back... sorta, so all we know now about the W110ER, which i really want

GDDR3 2gb gt 650m, will it come out with sandy bridge first and then released with an ivy bridge later this summer?

2. Ryan

Ryan NBR Moderator

Reputations:
    Based on the release schedule of the first week of April and shipping out in 3rd week of April, I'd say it is not enough for IB to hit.

SB + 6xxM for a few months,

then it will naturally transition to IB.

3. Baenwort

Baenwort Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    With the CPU appearing to be socketed in Prema's internal pics, it should be possible to get a IVB QM later if you find yourself wanting the extra boost. :cool:

4. uopnvidia

Reputations:
    u think they put that as part of the configuration later? i forget IVB can go in the same socket as SB?

5. Baenwort

Reputations:
    The limit is that the SB motherboard chipset doesn't support IVB. However, the IVB motherboard chipset DOES support SB so if they ship with the ICV MB chip but with a SB installed we should be able to slip in a IVB when it becomes available.

At least thats the rumor that I'm choosing to believe as it gives me hope.

6. micahmatthew

micahmatthew Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hizzaah thanks for the input! I checked my laptop and the only extremely unnoticeable thin is on the glossy black material where the laptop closes there are micro scratches; they were definitely caused by the sharp angle that the closing glossy part of the screen on the bottom latches into. besides that everything is utterly perfect; i'm going to clean the keyboard with some alcohol and Q tips and use a micro fiber cloth on the screen and some dust off to get any minor dust out of the fans and CPU/GPU heatsinks.

If there is a reconditioning fee I wonder how much it would cost? $50? $100? If its more than $75 I will have to second guess my decision :/

Hopefully all goes well and I can have $1,300 to put towards a new Kepler/Optimus laptop hopefully with back lit keyboard. I don't care much for the CPU as SB is plenty for me and the Optimus/Kepler combo saves much more battery than the IB will in my opinion; At least for the purposes of going to class and taking notes.

7. Mallhew

Mallhew Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I'm someone interested in gaming capability/battery life/web browsing but not CPU intensive stuff like video-editing, is it even worth my time to wait for Ivy Bridge?

8. Baenwort

Reputations:
    It depends on what games you play. If your games are mostly FPS or other 3D heavy games then frankly, No. If your games are strategy games like Crusader Kings 2 or Civ V on huge map size then it likely will be. For most games between the two extremes it might make a difference but not much of one.

The only reason IVB might be worth waiting for you is that you'll be able to get a quad core machine in a smaller laptop or you will be able to run it with out throttling due to heat or battery power output issues. If you don't KNOW for sure that a quad core has a measurable benefit for a program you are either using a lot of now or intend to be soon then don't bother waiting if you're shopping for a gamer class laptop(555M, 640M, 7690M, etc) as IVB will only be a small increase in CPU performance/efficiency and you're going to be using the dGPU for most of your gaming so the improvements from the HD3000 to the HD4000 won't be useful as anything you wouldn't use the dGPU for the DH3000 will be plenty.

9. uopnvidia

Reputations:
    im want to wait for the IVB for efficiency and the quad core capabilities, unheard of to have this much power in such a small laptop, and i thought the m11x was quite enough when it came out.

being a college student, the small form factor is what i am really after here, so im trying to get as much power as possible.

10. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    W110ER benches!

Setup specs:

11.6 1366X768 resolution machine
    INTEL I7 3720QM Turbo 2.6G-3.6G
    dual-channel 16GB of DDR3 1600
    HM76 chipset
    750G7200 16MB
    NVIDIA GT650M 2GB GDDR3 128BIT
    Wireless LAN Bluetooth