New 120hz Laptops Displays = Gorgeous!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by PMV, Aug 28, 2016.

1. matyee

matyee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Let me ask your kind guidance, as I am fully confused after weeks of reading :) I would like to have a CLEVO laptop with desktop capable cpus (775dm3 or 870dm3). The biggest issue for me is the screen, which has to be 120hz. I do not mind the gsync, it is not crucial for me. Many laptops I see (eg on ebay), they all have gsync FHD screen, I do not really find 120hz. Can I manually change eg the 775dm3-g screen to FHD 120hz? If I chech on the net / or ebay, I find FHD 120hz easilly, however I am not sure about the connectors. If you can tell me descriptions, links where I can read, I would also welcome. Of course the easiest would be to buy a machine with 120hz, but I cannot really find, and I cannot afford a full new. Thats why I was thinking to buy a used, and order a 120hz display. I have some doubts that is easly like that...
    Thank you for your help in advance,
    cheers

2. Henris

Henris Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I been looking for feedback for the display B173ZAN01.0 is it how good?

3. bigboco

bigboco Newbie

Reputations:
    How's the new 120HZ display compared with the old one on 3D model(P370SM3)

4. biatche

biatche Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi screen experts

i plan on buying an acer aspire 5 a515-51g.., which comes with a 15.6 tn panel non touch... a said screen replacement to work with it is said to be: B156HAN01.2 , which comes with 30pin connector.

i would add touch capability -- i like the specifications of B156HAK02.0 which is 40pin -- touch, ips, 1080p.

questions:
    1) what connection is responsible for touch? 40pin connector? or is there an additional connector for touch capability?
    2) will i need to purchase a new cable? if so, what would it be?

5. Saltsi

Saltsi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have been using the B173QTN01.4 for 2 weeks now, no issues at all. (screen disabled in device manager, laptop sleep mode and screen saver disabled). No problems rebooting or "cold booting". Really a good compromise between 1080p and 4k. Ghost recon: Wildlands is running at 2560*1440 resolution with high settings around 52fps. Dipping into 45 a few times, some scenes are over 60.

Running a MSI 1060 mxm card.

bradleyjb likes this.
  6. kolias

kolias Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi guys I have the clevo p377sm-a and I'm thinking to pull the trigger for a gtx1070.
    But I have to change the screen + edp cable.
    I'm wondering the new screens 120hz and 5ms are compatible with my system or not?
    Or I have to stick with the original 3d screen 120hz?
    thanks in advance

7. Saltsi

Saltsi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Your only option is the original 120hz eDP 50 pin panel, clevo used a 50 pin connector on the panels, and the only display cable available is the 50 pin version. New high end 120hz panels use the 40pin cable.

Had the original 120hz panel on my p370sm-a, still a good panel, much better than the original 60hz one.

kolias likes this.
  8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    It will have been down to the panels and connectors available at the time rather than a specific choice on connector/cable.

9. Saltsi

Saltsi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  10. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    I don't think there is any info out around it just yet. Asus do have a lot of relationships with the higher end of the panel market.