Never had a Dell M4600. . . calling M4600 owners tonight

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by SSDdrivei7, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SSDdrivei7

SSDdrivei7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've never owned a Dell, but I sure am tempted by their offer::thumbsup:

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
    :rolleyes:

This Dell notebook, M4600, with the i5-2520 and the AMD FirePro M5950 can be had for . . . hold it . . . hold it . . . $610 US dollars! Now I'm seriously thinking about getting this unit tonight, and then slowly upgrading it as I can afford to. And the 610$ price, isn't it a steal?:confused: I would think that the i5 could be upgraded, but not to a quad. If I want a quad later on down the road I would have to buy it with a quad to begin with. Just wanting to hear from any Dell M4600 owners before I commit myself. How is the keyboard? I travel and write a lot, it needs to be sweet. From the reviews, it seems well enough. I'm not worried about weight; my DV7 comes in at just over 9 pounds. And does this M4600 have any issues? Any input from M4600 owners would be appreciated.

2. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    It's pretty much a steal. I don't own one personally, but my roommate and a lot of students at my university do.

I'd **highly** recommend upgrading to the 1920x1080 display for a cheap $50. 1366x768 on a workstation laptop is like putting 10" tires on a Corvette. Just... no. :eek:

Compared to my W520, the keyboard on the M4600 is pretty good. Keys are slightly curved to fit your fingers, and the only flaw I could find was that the trackpoint is below the level of the keys (whereas it's above the keys on the Thinkpad). Though, iirc, you can buy Thinkpad trackpoints and replace the Dell version with the Lenovo version.

3. SSDdrivei7

Reputations:
    Thank you, Kuroi-Tsubasa. :thumbsup:Yes, I agree, the screen will be upgraded if I decide to buy. The memory, I will upgrade that in the coming weeks, also the ssd's. But I'm just worried about any long-term issues with this model? I've gone to the owner's lounge, and they seem to be griping a lot about overheating. . . .

4. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Asked my roommate about his ~2yr M4600. Apparently, the only major problem is that his battery (standard battery) now only lasts about 30 minutes unplugged. Other than that, no major problems. I'm guessing the battery problem is a combination of being old, probably running on the FirePro and not Intel graphics, bright screen even on battery, etc.

5. SSDdrivei7

Reputations:
    Okay, and, 'Thanks, Kuroi-Tsubasa.' I'm going to continue doing research. I really do like its solid looks. Very professional appearing machine.

6. tijo

tijo Sacred Blame Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can always head to the Dell part of the forum and peruse through the M4600 owner's lounge too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.