NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 Arrived

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by WhatsThePoint, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Killer_Networking

Killer_Networking Company Representative

Reputations:
    Er...there is no Qualcomm chip used in the 9260 or 1550. Both use Intel radios. There is no Qualcomm in those devices whatsoever.

-- Anthony with Killer Networking

Aroc and Spartan like this.
  2. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I’m pretty sure he meant the Qualcomm chip in the RAX120 vs the Intel 9260ac. But yeah the RAX120 & R7800 are both Qualcomm based.

WhatsThePoint likes this.
  3. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You sir are absolutely correct

4. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    alexhawker likes this.
  5. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    As stated above the RAX120 received a firmware update that added an HT160 router WiFi settings option
    I don't have the AX support enabled so it only shows as AC

This is a 5 year old MSI GS60 notebook with a Killer 1550 installed and driver v21.0.0.5

Another issue I had with my RAX120 is if I chose WPA2(AES) + WPA3 I would lose the 5ghz SSID

If I choose only WPA2(AES) all is well.

I don't want to test if that reported issue has been addressed because I don't want to go through setting up again.

I'll wait till I have an Intel AX200

The scheduled April 2019 Windows 10 update to 1903 should have WPA3 support baked in?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Aivxtla likes this.
  6. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
  7. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    Received an email 2 days ago that a new RAX120 firmware was available,v1.0.1.86

I used my Google Pixel 3XL with Android Nighthawk app to update the firmware.

The app reported the firmware was successfully updated but after logging into the router I see it's still on the old version 1.0.0.84

After 3 unsuccessful attempts to update I searched Netgear's site for the new firmware but it was nowhere to be found

The next step was a google search that revealed others suffering the same fate.

Information suggests the firmware was quickly removed due to bugs reported by early updaters.

Why not an email stating the firmware was removed?

Just more bad Netgear Customer Service.

My next router may be an Asus?

8. Spartan

Spartan Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Exactly why I got the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000. I love the fact that NETGEAR routers have the Plex Media Server, that was one feature my baby used a lot but after getting bit by NETGEAR with one bad firmware after the other on the NETGEAR X10, I was leery to get another NEGEAR router. This just fortifies my decision. The company's customer service is atrocious and they don't give flagship routers the attention that they deserve.

hmscott, Aivxtla and WhatsThePoint like this.
  9. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    I’m on .86. but yeah it’s probably pulled. Asus and Netgear both delegate part of the firmware development to the actual contracted manufacturers. Difference is Asus sticks to one chipset (Mostly Broadcom) for simplicity as they can have consistent firmware and features sets across devices and do more work on their part rather than leaving much of the heavy lifting to contractors. Netgear on the other hand uses excellent Qualcomm chipsets in addition to the Broadcom models but you end up in situations where low end units or previous gen units have certain features missing in current high end units on the firmware side (ie circle, downloader, PLEX).

I like Netgear’s more muted and professional design vs Asus somewhat childish looks on the ROG units (more of subjective and superficial assessment on my part), but overall Asus has more mature software and support and thus is a better buy. I’ve started recommending NG only for those who care purely for WiFi performance and don’t use any advanced features and for tweakers and Advanced users I recommend Asus. The R7800 is the one I recommend of theirs. The RAX80/120 have been decent but have 0 advanced features or user controls to warrant the high prices.

As for latest ax devices both companies still have major issues with certain APs/clients and certain conditions as the WiFi firmware from QCA/BCM still need work, and the updates come directly from them. But that’s the price of early adoption.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    FXi, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  10. WhatsThePoint

Reputations:
    If a firmware is pulled that's probably a very good thing but the Netgear Nighthawk app on my phone still shows I need to update my firmware.

The app goes through all the motions of updating and then says update successful when no updating actually occurred.

If I look right now it will show "UPDATE"

Spartan likes this.