Need to replace my yoga i5-4210Y to something similar/faster

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by b16707, May 16, 2017.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Glad to help. That's why I made noteb.com, for those special people who want those really "special" laptops and don't have a way to find them.
    Unfortunately the laptop that I want doesn't exist yet. I patiently await.

b16707 likes this.
  2. Starlight5

Starlight5 I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Reputations:
    @b16707 if your TPY 460 comes with SIM-card slot, it should be possible to add WWAN yourself. You'll need Thinkpad-branded whiltelisted WWAN module (EM7455 FRU 00JT542 / 00JT547) and a pair of antennas; depending on your LTE frequency, cheap Wi-Fi antennas with MHF4 connector may work just fine.

3. b16707

b16707 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    there seems to be a guy who just sold his 460 on ebay who had the Sierra EM7455 wwan module installed on his 460
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...926861?hash=item2a7bef9b4d:g:qSEAAOSwSlBYsept

as to where that slot is, i cant make out anything in pictures online.

Lenovo's online product builder is weird too. cant add a wqhd screen and there is no mention of wwan.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  4. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @b16707 sim-card slot is in the back. If you'll be considering a TPY460 without WWAN, yet with future upgrade in mind, make sure to ask the seller about it.

5. b16707

Reputations:
    yea i think the TPY460 is the one for me now.

Im looking at disassembly pics online and am i able to have both wifi and wwan? Or is it one or the other? I guess ill find out. Wwan is a luxury so its not detrimental if i cant have it.

6. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @b16707 you can have either WLAN only, or WLAN+WWAN. WWAN is fantastic if you use your device outdoors or in vehicles, but many people don't really need it.

7. b16707

Reputations:
    wait a moment, while a current model is nice, i could also opt for an older model. Looks like some of the older thinkpad yoga 12 have digitizer pens also and with full sd card slots. Not seeing a sim card slot but oh well, that was a luxury anyways. Not sure if 16gb ram is possible, maybe not and maybe that 16gb "caching" ssd could help.

even the older i7-4200u version could work too. Slightly faster than the i5-5300u in benchmarks and also has a pen.

If i can get my hands on a i7-4600U version i would gain:
    • a faster processor than my current i5-4210Y
    • FHD screen instead of the 1366x768
    • slightly larger screen at not much of size gain
    • digitizer pen
    • 2x usb 3 ports instead of 1
    • durability of a thinkpad
    Seems like a thumbs up to me, what do you guys think that I may be missing? I dont think this older gen has a lighted keyboard?

Last edited: May 22, 2017 at 12:19 PM
  8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It's really up to you. The only reason to go with an older model is if you are on a budget or have no other choice since you want a specific model. I dealt with refurbished models, and even under warranty, it sucks having to send your laptop in for repairs.

9. b16707

Reputations:
    sorry to hear your issues in the past. Ive never had a problem with used computers. My old X40 was a refurb. My current yoga 11s is also a refurb. Had a mbp 15 in between those and that was a used model too. Bought my sister a used mbp 15 too and that was used. Heck I dont even think ive owned a new laptop before lol.

the new models just dont have all that much going for them to warrant the higher price. ill definitely keep looking.

10. Starlight5

Reputations:
    @b16707 if you really want an older model, I believe Broadwell Thinkpad Yoga 12 is the way to go; Haswell ones are just too old, lack physical trackpoint buttons and will be much harder to upgrade. Another important difference is digitizer type - older Thinkpads come with Wacom EMR, while Skylake and newer - with Wacom AES.

Last edited: May 23, 2017 at 4:06 AM
    b16707 likes this.