Need to replace my Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G-K04U

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by tallpines, Jul 9, 2020.

1. tallpines

tallpines Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? N/A

2) What size notebook would you prefer? c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I would prefer something NOT made in China, but I realize that I may not have a choice about that....getting the needed features is the most important to me.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Maybe?

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Work & personal (not gaming)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Maybe about 7

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online purchase OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? I currently have Ultra Resolution 3200x1800 (It doesn't have to have 3200x1800 as long as it's pretty similar. High resolution would probably also be OK.)

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Definitely a matte/non-glossy screen.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Sort of, but weight & size are the most important.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 256 GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? A few years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? As long as a repair takes

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Either is probably OK.

Please state any additional features you need. It's also helpful if you can indicate how experienced you are with computers. If you're a novice and don't know much, that's alright. Everyone's a novice at some point.

Non-negotiable features I need:
    Backlit keyboard
    lightweight 3-3.5 lbs, 13 to <14 inches

Other preferences:
    (I'm very experienced with computer usage.) I took my current notebook to a reputable local repair shop after testing the charger, battery, CMOS, etc. (which were all OK). The shop diagnosed a bad motherboard, but I'm unable to find a replacement for my Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G-K04US motherboard w/ its 8GB integrated memory, or I would do that if I could..

And sadly, Samsung's current 13.3" lightweight notebooks (mine is 3.06 pounds) on their site do not feature 8GB memory. I don't want anything bigger or heavier, as this was ideal for flying and working out-of-state - but I do want all of the features that this machine has (even though it could be a little faster, but size & weight are more important to me).

Current Features on my Samsung ATIV Book 9 Plus NP940X3G-K04U:
    Intel Core i7 4500U 1.8 GHz Processor / Processor Count 2
    8 GB DDR3 Memory, 256 GB Solid-State Drive
    13.3" LED QHD+, 3200 x 1800, 16:9, 10-Point Capacitive Touch Screen, Intel
    Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD Graphics 4400
    Screen Size 13.3 inches
    Card Description Integrated
    Backlit keyboard
    Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2
    Item Weight 3.06 pounds
    Max Screen Resolution 3200x1800 pixels
    Memory Speed 1600 MHz

I really wish I could just locate another motherboard with 8GB memory.... so I hope to find something with at least all of these features if possible? And preferably one that will accept my current SSD from my Samsung.

Thanks!

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Dell XPS 13 seems like a good fit, but there's lots of choices out there like the ThinkPad X1 Carbon or the HP Spectre come to mind, though there are others as well.