Need to replace my Clevo P150HM...Should I go Mythlogic or Alienware or Other?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Yauchy, Aug 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yauchy

Yauchy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? $1500 - 2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 15.6, worst case 17.3

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. FL, USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Sager / Clevo, Alienware
    b. Dislike: Asus, MSI

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Open box at most.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Laptop solely for gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Very little movement, mostly forever on a lap-pad on the couch.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    ARPGs & MMOs, occasional FPS' or MOBAs

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Minimal, moot point for me

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I don't need to see it

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows only

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) I really want it to be 4K at a minimum

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    Matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Nope. I don't even need a backlit keyboard and I like to sticker my machine up.

15) When are you buying this laptop? As soon as possible

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 5+ Years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    SSD + 7200 RPM Data Drive or 2 SSDs

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? Nope

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My Clevo P150HM of over 6 years is finally painfully dying even playing Path of Exile or Overwatch on lower settings. I want something to last a similar duration and am curious if I should go Mythlogic again or Alienware or otherwise. Heat and future proofing are my concerns, so 4K seems to be a must and I don't need a rig to run Ultra but I'd like to stay high - medium for years to come.

Currently I have about 1500 saved up and I really don't want to take a credit hit at the moment, so I'd like to stay as low as possible - which is why I'm looking for suggestions beyond Mythlogic / Alienware as well.

Thanks in advance for any input
    ~Yauchy

2. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    clevo p750dm2

clevo p775dm3

msi 16L13

these have a desktop cpu and a mxm gpu

i7-7700k needs to be delidded

hidevolution offers delidding of cpus

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Captain_Bobby likes this.
  3. Landspeeder_95

Landspeeder_95 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Search these forums for Mythlogic before pulling the trigger.

Captain_Bobby likes this.
  4. Captain_Bobby

Captain_Bobby Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  5. Yauchy

Reputations:
    I was actually quite bummed out to learn the bad things Mythlogic has been doing these days...my laptop is going on 7 years old and I've had nothing but good report with them.

That said I for sure know I want a 1070, 120Hz screen, and something that doesn't burn itself alive. While I'm partial to Sager due to my current laptop's success, I'm open to anything BUT ASUS.

Thanks for the replies :)

6. Yauchy

Reputations:
    @Captain_Bobby I see you were praising Mythlogic as of April of last year, has that much changed since then? It seems the threads about them sure have...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.