Need to choose between XPS 15 9560 and Inspiron 7567 (with 4k IPS screen).

Discussion in 'Dell' started by notfunny, Mar 22, 2017.

1. DeeX

DeeX Liquid Hz

Reputations:
    The general build quality of Inspirons is going to be lower.
    What I mean by that is, the costs will be cut on the LCD, the chassis, even the keyboard.
    Since it is a gaming laptop the one thing it should have going for it is proper cooling and power.
    The clear intent of Inspiron (gaming model or other wise) is to be the "budget".
    I base this on common sense when it comes to Dell's clear pricing model, plus years of encountering Inspirons.

With that said something to consider is the XPS isn't exactly designed or marketed as a gaming laptop.
    Don't get me wrong it does fair very well with gaming but it is meant to be a productivity, Macbook type laptop.
    I personally would choose the XPS as it is very nice looking, it has a really nice build quality, and it can hold its own.
    Inspiron has its place and for someone that cannot afford an XPS I would suggest it.
    It also should be noted that the size of the laptops are different. The XPS is basically the footprint of a 14" laptop because of the infinity edge display. So the Inspiron will be much bigger and bulkier.

In the end since they fit different needs it really comes down to what you think is important.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Accepting repastes!

Reputations:
    Does the inspiron have a true 4K screen?

I think they're all pentile displays.

don_svetlio likes this.
  3. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The inspiron 7000 I used had touch capability...maybe it was the 4k screen in that one...

4. Althernai

Althernai Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    These are radically different in price -- even with the MicroCenter 9650 version (which differs from yours only in that there is 16GB of RAM and a 512GB SSD -- both of which are easy to upgrade), the Inspiron is less expensive.

Those are about the easiest things to upgrade on a laptop. As long as you're willing to open it up, it should be simple on both the XPS and the Inspiron.

Dell has a pretty expensive Thunderbolt dock which connects to Ethernet and many other things. A plain USB 3.1 to Ethernet adapter costs between $10 and $20 on Amazon (or you can spend a bit more for one that has extra USB 3.0 ports). I have not found another use for Thunderbolt yet.

This can vary significantly from machine to machine. If the thermal paste was not properly applied, the machine will overheat whether it is an XPS or an Inspiron or anything else. I just bought an XPS which is tweaked only in that I undervolted the CPU with an offset of -0.110V (this does not require opening it -- you just download your choice of Intel XTU or ThrottleStop and change a few parameters). In pure CPU stress tests, it runs at maximum boost. There is no noticeable GPU throttling in Torment: Tides of Numenera (the RPG I'm currently playing) or in the Unigine Heaven benchmark, but XTU says that there is power limit throttling (which has no noticeable effect because the CPU is underutilized). I suspect that it is possible to get a noticeable effect if you run a game which heavily uses the CPU regardless of which GPU it is paired with, but this should be rare -- the 7700HQ is overkill for the 1050.

Again, it varies from machine to machine. Most scientific computing is CPU-only and the CPU is same for both machines. If you want to do CUDA stuff... well, I would suggest a different set of machines altogether.

I haven't tried it, but I think the XPS can be configured to perform the same when plugged and when unplugged. That said, if you configure it that way, the battery life will be very low.

Linux should not be difficult to install on either machine. I am running Fedora 25 on my XPS, but I'm doing so using VirtualBox (i.e. create a virtual machine within Windows 10 and run Fedora inside of that). I have not tried a native Linux installation or dual-boot, but a cursory internet search shows that it should be fairly straightforward as long as you're willing to deal with the usual issues with Nvidia and Linux.

The SSD you get is a roll of the dice. Lucky XPS 15s come with a Samsung model which is very fast, but you're more likely to wind up with a Toshiba or a LiteOn. I haven't noticed a difference except in benchmarks.

Here's a basic list of differences -- I don't know what your priorities are:

XPS is smaller, thinner and lighter with the same 15" size.
    XPS has a better display.
    XPS looks professional (the Inspiron has the "gamer" styling which is not desirable in many settings).
    Inspiron is cheaper.
    Inspiron has the better GPU.

docrock likes this.
  5. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like I am talking about a different 7000 than others here. the one I used was slim, sleek and very professional looking,....not a gamer rig.

6. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Erm, yeah.
    [​IMG]

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh.....that would explain it....I was thinking the 7000 series...that does not look like that. XPS all the way then!

8. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's the Inspiron 7567 from the 7000 gaming series :D

9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    GOTCHA!

don_svetlio likes this.
  10. edit1754

edit1754 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think the 7567 4K panel is close to the XPS. It's the SHP1450 from the AW15, which if I'm not mistaken it's high gamut too. EDIT: Not as high Adobe RGB as the XPS. Still good though.

Also true 4K not PenTile like last year's Inspiron 4K model.

EDIT: And yeah. I class the Inspiron differently depending on whether you're looking at the 1080p TN or 4K IPS model, since I think a good display vs a not-good one is a very noticeable difference. If Dell were to switch back to IPS 1080p panels, I would class the Inspiron 7567 the same as the Acer VX, but right now it's lower by my metrics.

Last edited: May 24, 2017