Need SSD opinions

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Chowda289, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Better to get EVO IMO. It comes with a limited warranty of 5 years which is 36-40TB DWPD on 256GB m.2 and SATA 2.5".

2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Most of my experience was with the SATA drives, they just wouldn't die. I don't see any issues with PCIe drives, but I haven't been working directly with RMA for a while.

HTWingNut, Chowda289 and Vasudev like this.
  3. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    I'll throw in my two cents and cut through the BS. Based on my experience.

1. Buy as big as you can afford. Minimum 250GB

2. Over-provision 20% unless you need space, any extra OP is better than no OP. Even with no user OP there is usually at least 7% built in OP.

3. SATA drives are sufficient for 90% of laptop users. Unless you do a lot of intense I/O iterations daily, there is no benefit to NVMe. If so, you probably wouldn't be asking here.

4. Any modern SSD will be better/ faster than a laptop HDD, period.

Buy it, install it, forget about it, and enjoy life.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

alexhawker and Chowda289 like this.
  4. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Doesn't the SSDs come with Over-provision from the factory? I mean Spare NANDs because of failed NAND due to completed P/E cycles

Chowda289 likes this.
  5. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

This is what I tell people. Always get that person that thinks they still need more. I mean I'm not going to say no because it's more money, but don't say I didn't try to save you the extra cost.

6. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm going to go with a 2.5" SSD. It seems like that is the better, cheaper route to go. Also, I can always buy more space later on (when I have the funds.)

I just need to figure out which to buy. I'm looking at Samsung 850 PRO, Crucial BX300, Adata SU900, Mushkin Reactor Armor3D, and Intel Brown Box. Any other suggestions? I don't know why...but when I do a general search on Amazon, some drives don't show up. Once I search the brand name, I'm able to see more. :confused:

Do I need to buy mounting or anything like that to install an SSD in the Clevo P650HS?

Does a heatsink on a m.2 SSD actually do anything or is it just a gimmick? Just wondering...

@tilleroftheearth Thanks!
    @Tanner@XoticPC Good to know. Thanks!

@HTWingNut I can pretty much only afford a max of about 250GB. :oops:

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Samsung 850 pro or crucial BX300 would be ideal choice if you can snag it for very good price. If those end up expensive you can opt for Samsung 850 EVO(keep this SSD as a last resort)

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    Factory OP typically come with 7% OP just due to the whole Gibabits vs Gigabits difference. No spare NAND. You will see some drives that are 240GB vs 250GB or 256GB due to increase in dedicated OP space. But chips come in 2^x sizes.

Samsung 850 is a very good option. Even Evo vs Pro to save a bit more.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Your reseller should have provided you with the bracket and mounting screws to add the 2.5-inch drive.

10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    They do; but they're there solely to protect the manufacturer against warranty claims.

Not to make the user's experience faster.

Minimum amount of 'op'ing' just to hit the silly bm 'scores' they need to put on the box.

Very few SSD's have any actual spare nand chips - except in certain enterprise devices, of course.

Btw, that (usually small ~7%) difference between units, GB vs GiB, doesn't help with sustained performance over time. The SSD's that are truly manufacturer OP'd are in the 27% range and up (from the factory).

It may not make a difference to many; but that doesn't mean it is safe to ignore. OP'ing by at least 25% or more is necessary to have the SSD work for you when you want/need it (vs. it working to protect itself from catastrophic failure with it's clean up routines at the same time you want it to complete the task you're interested in).