Need space and performance: Ideapad 720? XPS 15? Business grade Dell/HP?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by OneJude, Jan 1, 2019.

1. OneJude

OneJude Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    about $2000 including extended support if recommended

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Open
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    If I can get the right support

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Normal email/googling/etc however, installing lots of data warehousing software: Oracle database, Oracle Data Integrator, Pentaho suite. These take up a lot of room and memory. Just the Pentaho data integration and BI server maxed out my 8G RAM Ideapad 720S I was trying. The actual number of records run through them will be small as I'm teaching data warehousing and working on assignments, not actually processing a lot of data. (Although it's possible someday, I guess.)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Desk, bed. Still would prefer under 5 lbs.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Nope.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    A few hours - say 3.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Online for sure.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    I work in the Windows world so must be Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1920x1080 seems fine.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Matte.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Not enough to get me to buy an inferior laptop.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I think I should go with 1T. I do want SSD.

Also 16G RAM and NON-Touch screen. Also NO 2-in-1.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    Till it goes beyond my ability to fix it. I can do all ordinary repairs that don't require soldering.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Long. I can use my wife's or one from work.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    Shipping is fine.

I have been using laptops for at least twenty years: Fujitsu, Toshiba, Dell, HP. I've added memory, replaced hard drives, replaced screens, replaced keyboards.

My HP Pavilion g6 of probably five years old finally is giving up the ghost. I bought the IdeaPad 720S with 8G ram and 512 SSD HD. Wow, 8 seconds to boot into Windows. But the touchpad is faulty, Got another and had the same problem. Instinct says it's the driver as the only problems seem to come with the Custom setting on the three-finger gestures, but I really don't know. And the 8G and 512G are a little too small.

So I picked up the Dell XPS 15 9570. Like the keyboard better but the machine isn't built right. On a flat surface it wobbles - the case seems to be warped. And the TEST MODE watermark is coming on randomly (to the best of my knowledge it really seems random). Seems there have been a lot of quality control issues.

Both machines can be returned no problem (one already returned, if you're counting). I'm open to, and grateful for, suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I recommend you this one:

Custom Built MSI P65 Creator 8RD-021 15.6" Ultra Thin and Light Professional Laptop w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050TI

Or if you can stretch your budget just a little bit, then check out the white edition which looks very unique and professional and has a better GPU (not that it matters in your case though since you don't game but man is the white one sexy):

Custom Built MSI P65 Creator 8RF-442 15.6" Ultra Thin and Light Professional Laptop w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q - White Limited Edition

HIDevolution has superb build quality and a myriad of customization options and their awesome cooling mods which you can choose in the configurator like the Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads for the best cooling possible. This means you are 100% guaranteed to receive a laptop that works perfectly out of the box and they do offer lifetime tech support which is far superior to any OEM's in-house tech support.

Email donald@hidevolution.com before you order if you wanna get the NBR Forum discount.

JRE84 likes this.
  3. OneJude

OneJude Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, I'll certainly check HIDevolution out. Anyone else have ideas or input?

4. Paparatsio

Paparatsio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    6 mnd ago have the same dilema here . Got my lenovo 15 720s i7 gtx 1050ti max q and i just love it so much .

5. OneJude

OneJude Newbie

Reputations:
    That's the IdeaPad I got that has the touchpad problem in both machines. I'm also not so keen on the off-center keyboard but may have to learn to like it.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I highly recommend the 720s ideapad because since you won't be gaming the throttling will be irrelevent. my vote goes strongly towards the 720s 15in based on the fact I want one and read all the reviews and gripes about the laptop.

and for the record the laptop ultra male suggested is probably an even better bet pending your wallet...you might not want to game right now. but you would be suprised that neither did I and ended up gaming from time to time and a 1070 comes in handy for say 7 years low settings gaming.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    If you’re not planning on playing any games, there’s hardly any point getting a gaming laptop. And, if durability and longevity are of any importance to you, I wouldn’t even look at consumer-class laptops like the Ideapads or XPS.

That said, I’d take a look into the Lenovo Thinkpad line, HP Elitebook line, or Dell Latitude line.

Aroc likes this.
  8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

Reading through your post, I think you should be looking at a business grade machine.
    The Ideapad and the XPS are consumer laptops, and as you already noticed, they don't come without issues which, for most consumers are not a problem, but for people who prefer quality and reliability can be an issue.

I tried to search here for laptops that should match your criteria: noteb search. All the laptops in my search results are business grade machines, with excellent build quality and reliability.
    You can see and change the search parameters using the "Refine results" button in the upper-left part of the search results page. You can also click on the laptops for more information.

From these laptops I recommend:
    - Lenovo Thinkpad T580 /T480, an excellent machine which should have none of the problems you have encountered so far.
    - HP Elitebook 850 G5, similar to the Thinkpad but with a better trackpad
    - Dell Latitude 5590, same class as the above two
    - Dell Precision 5530, it has the same chassis as the XPS, but it has significantly better quality control

There are more in my search results. But these seem to be the top picks value for money.