need some feedback for lifetime Windows user--please help

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by SusanS, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    RAM:
    Crucial DDR3 1600 Mhz 16 GB (2x8GB sticks) (~$80)
    https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-...M5NYPC3H95K&psc=1&refRID=XZDVEH02GM5NYPC3H95K

SSD:
    Both of the following are good, regardless of brand I'd probably go for 512GB minimum and 1TB might be better if you store a lot of stuff ie videos etc:
    Samsung 870 EVO (~$65 for 512GB and ~$130 for 1TB)
    https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Inch...s=1tb+evo&qid=1613765763&s=electronics&sr=1-1
    SK Hynix S31 Gold: (~$57 for 500GB and ~$105 for 1TB)
    https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Gol...1tb+hynix&qid=1613765811&s=electronics&sr=1-2
    WD Blue is fine too but the other two are better in my opinion.

So overall upgrade cost as I mentioned previously would be around $200 or below depending on what you choose, going as low as ~$140 or even less. You may or may not get lower prices depending on which other site you look at but I think those prices are pretty decent.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    SusanS and Reciever like this.
  2. SusanS

SusanS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Edited to add: Is this one the same thing? It's available and the one on Amazon isn't

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/877010-REG/Crucial_Technology_CT102464BF160B_16GB_2_x.html

3. SusanS

Reputations:
    Oh and how do I get what's on my current HDD onto the SDD ? The guy in the video was hard to understand. Do I need any other parts or tools? And I was unclear about what he said regarding the case or the housing or whatever that clear plastic thing is he had his HDD in for his backup disk.

4. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    SusanS likes this.
  5. SusanS

Reputations:
    And this "backing up" will make the hard drive my husband inserts the SAME as the hard drive that's in there now, including operating system and everything? Do I need anything else?

6. SusanS

Reputations:
    OK I've really become confused. On that video, the poster says he cloned his new SSD before he changed them. But it looked like he was just for the first time removing the HDD when he showed how to replace it with the new SDD.

I have the enclosure, the SDD in it, attached to my computer now, downloaded the Acronis software, but now the software is guiding me to that to clone the HDD to the new SDD disk, I should REMOVE HDD and clone it OUTSIDE the computer to the new SDD. I am just not getting this. How can you do that? The guide is saying that I need to do this because otherwise something reverts to booting from an interior disk. Good grief I am confused. PLEASE.....help!

7. Aivxtla

Reputations:
    Sorry I missed your previous post. You want to clone with the new disk in the USB enclosure and the old one still in the computer. After the old drive is cloned to the new disk then replace the old disk with the new one. Of course you can do it with both drives in separate enclosures and using another computer to do the cloning but that's just more work and unnecessary.

Here is a decent video:

However I would do a full fresh install of Windows on the new drive instead, and simply copy any needed files from the old disk after you put it in an enclosure. More work but probably a more stable on system which has probably gone through numerous previous OS updates and other things.

So it's up to you which way you wish to go.

SusanS and Reciever like this.