need some feedback for lifetime Windows user--please help

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by SusanS, Feb 14, 2021.

1. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I was just pointing out that you don't necessarily need a desktop and a notebook. A dock isn't required either. Most notebooks have a way to plug in multiple screens, then you can use the keyboard and touch pad on the notebook or use external ones. The nice thing about a dock us you only have to plug or unplug just the notebook, not everything else.

As a place to start it'll be less expensive to replace the hard drive drive on your Samsung(maybe your ThinkPad too) with a SSD. This is by a good margin the mostly likely reason it's slow. A computer from 2012 is still decent PC as long as you're not pushing it, which it doesn't sound like you are. Even if you decide it's still too slow, you'd want to this before giving it away. A SSD shouldn't cost more than $100 and a reputable tech should be able to do it in under 15 minutes, so don't over pay. A new 16" MBP starts at $2,400.

2. SusanS

SusanS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Huh. You guys are funny. I'm probably older than your parents. And no, I don't trust me to do this. With guidance, and maybe my husband's tools, I might be able to pull this off. I do appreciate knowing the options and will see if I can figure this out with your help.

On the back of the computer:

All in one PC
    Model: DP700A3D
    Input: 19V-----4.74A (90w)

MODEL CODE: DP700A3D--AO1US
    S/N: HX9D91XD102335V Jan. 2013

Regardless, I know I'm going to need another computer. My Thinkpad is fritzy but I don't rely on it like I do this AIO now. (when I was travelling to/from office I did rely on that Thinkpad). It would be nice to be able to make this Samsung work better for a while until I can figure out what I need next. Maybe get a better webcam too? I have a Logitech Brio Ultra HD webcam in my Amazon cart right now (can't figure out if I need new microphone too). My videoconference chats freeze and lag a LOT. I can try to upgrade the Samsung AIO to what you recommend. I only see one little door with a screw on the back of the computer that is labeled MEMORY. Assume that's where the new RAM goes. Have no idea where a SSD would go or where the HDD lives.

So far, I'm hearing NO MAC. IDK I feel like I missed out somehow. . I wanted something easier and more secure--at least to have something automated where Norton isn't making me think I'm about to let foreign hackers into my bank account, causing panic attacks and hair loss. Where do I go next? How does one buy RAM? Dear me.

3. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well Looks like RAM is rather simple there's a small door for it that's easily accessible with just a single screw to remove on the back side.
    [​IMG]
    The HDD however is under the main cover. A bit more cumbersome but not too bad actually.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    SusanS likes this.
  4. SusanS

Reputations:
    OH DEAR GOD. That is scary! I might pass out. I'm afraid I would kill it. (meaning bring death upon my computer, not knock it out of the park good job). Should I take it to Staples? That's where I bought it. Or order parts myself and find a freelance person to do the surgery?

5. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For the RAM alone no its just that small door, just take out one screw and it's visible. You don't need to touch anything else.

HDD is harder to get to but, if you or your husband or anyone else is comfortable at some point they can do it, just following the video. And yes you can give it to a store if you aren't comfortable enough with it.

SusanS and Reciever like this.
  6. SusanS

Reputations:
    Is it worth it just to replace ram and leave the rest alone?

7. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    While it would certainly help the ssd replacement would give you more tangible benefits. Nearly night and day

That's also the portion that requires removing the clam shell.

SusanS and Aivxtla like this.
  8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd agree, it's the slower platter based drive that's the performance bottleneck, not the memory, though it wouldn't hurt to add some more.

I don't believe Staples does upgrades. A better bet would be the Geek Squad at Best Buy. Last I checked, which was a while ago, the charge was $90 for a diagnosis, but then they'd offset the $90 for whatever you spend. You can try googling computer repair along with your zip code to see if there's any shops in your area that do upgrades. Keep in mind if you replace the drive you'll need to re-install the OS, either Windows 7 or 8. If you call for quotes tell them you need a memory and SSD upgrade along with re-installing the OS. Once you've got a few estimates then you can see where you stand. A tech savvy relative or friend may want to lend a hand as none of the tasks is particularly difficult.

Aivxtla and SusanS like this.
  9. SusanS

Reputations:
    Thank you all. This computer came with Windows 8, but I have been running Windows 10. Is that part of my problem? Hubby says he will watch the video and see if he is up to the task. We are both at very high risk regarding Covid, so if we can avoid people we do. Where would I look to order these parts online? And how do you reinstall an operating system?

Edited to add: Will a new webcam (Logitech Brio Ultra HD is in Amazon cart) improve the lag and slow down of my telehealth sessions? Do I need a separate microphone?

10. SusanS

Reputations:
    OK, my hubby watched the video (hard to understand the accent!) but he says he feels confident doing it. He said to get a wrist strap too. And air to blow out dust. But when I go looking for these parts, I'm flooded. In that video the guy recommends WD Blue SSD and when I go look at it on Amazon and put in the model number, they say that they "aren't sure if it will work." RAM too. I'm flummoxed on what to get. Will someone give me a hand with this?

I have ordered that webcam too. I'm going all in on upgrading this Samsung since I'm pretty much in love with it. And I will be back to research laptops at a later date.