need some feedback for lifetime Windows user--please help

Discussion in 'Apple and Mac OS X' started by SusanS, Feb 14, 2021.

1. SusanS

SusanS Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you. I think I want my bigger desktop setup to be better first, and can wait to do the laptop. Do you have any idea when the new Macbook Pro 16 will be available? Thanks for the heads up on the RAM and Storage. I'm guessing you also mean it should be SSD for the storage, right?

2. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Order the parts online and do it yourself

Aivxtla likes this.
  3. Aivxtla

Aivxtla Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Rumor has it the ARM based MBP16 would likely be released in 3rd Quarter of the year. And as for storage yes SSD. MacBooks and Mac Minis come with SSDs by default. The iMac however depending on variation/sku I think still can come with a standard HDD.

As for upgrading your current all in one, give us the model number and if feasible and not cumbersome to open up, one of us can guide you. Parts can be ordered online so no need to go to a mall. A 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM should be around $200 or less.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Kill two birds with one stone, a notebook with a dock into which you can plug in the large screen you prefer, but be able to unplug the notebook and be mobile. Plus then you only maintain one computer.

I'd probably vote against a Mac. I havre one and like it as something different, but I would not say it's significantly better or worse than Windows or even Linux, just different. Apple tends to be more expensive. Given that Apple is switching gears to their own chips there may be some teething pains along the way. Some of the software you use now may have to be bought again for Mac.

saturnotaku likes this.
  5. SusanS

Reputations:
    very sweet thought. but I barely get the screen dusted. i'm not kidding

6. SusanS

Reputations:
    bless you. I will try to figure out the model. That would be wonderful if I could do that but it scares me to death!

7. SusanS

Reputations:
    Thank, ZaZ. what would you suggest? dock plus laptop?

edited to add: and monitor. If I upgrade the Samsung, and upgrade me with a new laptop and dock, I would gift the Samsung to my hubby. He is struggling by with an ancient Sony Vaio.

8. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    The good thing about older hardware is there is plenty of teardown videos on youtube. Found a few myself already, it looks to be mostly just a plastic clamshell that is held on by plastic clips and screws. Check it out, like I said, its just if you desire to keep it.

9. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Would you trust your parents to open up a PC, especially one that's not a traditional desktop tower, and upgrade it? Not everyone who comes on this forum is as plugged into the tech scene as we are.

10. Reciever

Reciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    nor am I implying as such. Just laying out the options. Many do not know if they have the means which then lacks the will to dig further. Been there many times myself. There is nothing wrong with having options even if there is no intention to follow through on them.