Need rugged laptop with big screen

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by No.15, Nov 18, 2019.

1. No.15

No.15 Newbie

Reputations:
    I need to buy 5 laptops that will withstand my uncaring users. Tired of the consumer grade laptops not holding up.
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    would like 1500 usd or less

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

mainstream
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:

No Preference
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Basic business tasks, word, outlook ect.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

for road warriors

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)

No

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Can usually plug in

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Not necessary to see the firs one

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Windows 10 Pro

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)

High res and above

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

No preference at this point, probably matte

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Need something that can stand up to abuse bot not military grade or supper heavy.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?

480GB and up

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?

Now

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?

3 years +

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?

Business critical

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

I can rotate laptops out so shipping is fine

Need to have an aircard that works T-Mobile and sprint

2. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Need something rugged? But good price for its task? You only want to do office work on them so I recommend of course, THINKPAD.
    Now why the ThinkPad?
    Firstly its business class, its rugged, its designed to take abuse, they are fast enough for light gaming which should be good enough for even the most demanding office task.
    They are well priced and have good warranty.
    Now if you are doing office work I assume you want a numpad on these so the first ones that come to my mind are of course the 15.6 inch ThinkPads such as the E595 for more price minded or T590 for the more luxury variant, there is little differences between these in terms of general build quality its mostly hardware differences.

The negative side with modern ThinkPads are the "more" flimsy screen designs compared to the older ThinkPads, its certainly better built than most mainstream laptops but if you think the screen can easily be damaged I suggest checking out refurbished T530 as these are the last of the sturdier screen designs however it lacks a numpad which to some is a killer deal.

If you worry about the screen so much, simple hardened glass screen protector for 15.6 inch can be bought for 20 bucks and installed very easily, some of them can be wet installed so there no air and this will usually make the screen extremely sturdy with added rigidity, I work with Office a lot specially Excel and the numpad is undeniably something I rather not miss out when working.

Overall the ThinkPad checks out all the marks and have far better keyboards compared to Dell and HP, as someone who type a lot on mechanical keyboards the lack of a good keyboard on a laptop sometimes really kills the experience for me, but ThinkPads get away with having acceptable keyboards, cannot be compared with a proper mech one but for a laptop its one of the best.
    There are laptops with mechanical keyboards however again the build quality will suffer, there is always some compromise to had with a laptop, with ThinkPads its lack of graphics performance.