Need Recomendations For New Laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by David504, Jun 29, 2020.

1. David504

David504 Newbie

Reputations:
    Looking for recommendations for a new/referb laptop last one I bought was 2007
    that one died in 2013. Have been using my work one which was limited but that is no more Anyway due to my job is no more I do try to stay up on the latest Technology and hope to go with the AMD Ryzen 5 or 7 It will be mainly used for browsing, Videos, light photo editing with GIMP and PS Lightroom and very very little Necessary social media. Also am looking for a decent screen brightness and colors considering with keeping my budget in mind.
    Thanks For any help in advance

1) What is your budget? Up to $1000 With including extended warranty

2) What size notebook would you prefer? 14” or 15”
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? Not perticular
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Photo editing with GIMP at present time photoshop in future

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? 90% Home

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) no games

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Optional Since it will be mostly on ac

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is ok? Either way

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p or 4K for right price And a decent quality screen considering my budget

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) glossy IPS

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not so much

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 256 would be fine will store files on external drive

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Within the next couple weeks

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? At least next 5 years or so

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Optional Have backup desktop but hopefully no more than a month

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I planning on an extended warranty

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The new Lenovo Flex 5 14 with the Ryzen 4000 series CPU would fit your needs and budget.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You might find a XPS 15 in the Dell Outlet at the top of your budget if you have the luxury of waiting. It offers a very good screen. Good luck and welcome to NBR.

4. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd try to stretch your budget and get an XPS 15 as noted. Here's our guide to the outlet shopping, don't forget to use Dell's coupon codes. The Dell Outlet's stock and coupons change frequently so just check back if you don't see anything you like: http://www.notebookreview.com/howto/nbr-how-to-outlet-shopping-for-hp-dell-and-lenovo-notebooks/

Virtually any specification of the XPS 15 will work for you. Try to get one with 16GB of RAM which will help system responsiveness. You can always upgrade it later, though the XPS 15 is finicky with memory so be sure to buy from a place that guarantees compatibility. (Crucial comes to mind.)

Charles

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  5. David504

David504 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the replies, At the present I am Trying to stay within or close to my budget but found this XPS 15 linked below which seems to be an older model. and If I could get any feedback on this model and if it is that much of a difference from the new base model XPS 15 with the latest 10th gen intel chip and intergrated graphics. Again this is just for home use for browsing, watching videos, editing photos no gaming but who knows. Just like the idea of a decent screen around the $1000 budget.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/617948/dell-xps-15-9570-156-gaming-laptop-computer---silver

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    That laptop would work fine. Just 8GB of RAM though.
    Did you try the Dell Outlet?
    Charles

7. David504

David504 Newbie

Reputations:
    I did look through the Dell outlet but some of the prices were a bit steep for me I found this one with the separate graphic card and a slower processor and it’s about 10 miles away so I thought for the price and I could bump the memory up in the near future. Thanks

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    16GB of RAM can be had for well under $100. The XPS you're looking at will suit you just fine.
    Charles

9. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you have the ability to wait you may find a better price. What's available and price can vary quite a bit.