Need OC help

Discussion in '2015+ Alienware 13 / 15 / 17' started by voidz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. voidz

voidz Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I recently received my AW15 R3 with 7820 HK + GTX 1070 g-sync a few days ago and need a bit of help with the OC settings. I've never done it, so it's my first time, but I've been reading around the forums regarding OCs settings but would like to make sure.

What settings should I be using in XTU in order to run it @ 3.9Ghz on all 4 cores with out any power limit throttling? And realistically, how much voltage off-set can I achieve?

Thanks!

Vasudev likes this.
  2. Midas Touch

Midas Touch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    First we need to know your thermal temperatures in all cores including the GPU temp. so that we know if you're safe to overclock. Download HWinfo64 (I prefer the portable version) to monitor the temps, and if you have intel XTU already installed run stress test for at least 15 minutes but keep monitoring the temps.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Vasudev likes this.
  3. Riktar

Riktar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Interested in this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got the 7820HK to 5.1kGHZ stable on a MSI titan, but you need to mod the EC and BIOS in order to get those high numbers.

3.9ghz should be rather easy to do. You shouldn't up any voltages, just straight up up the multis for every core to 3.9ghz, it should work.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  5. Pete Light

Pete Light Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    He's right, and for 3.9GHz you can actually undervolt the cores in order to keep the temps in check too if needed. 3.9 is easy for the 7820HK, even if you're unlucky in the silicon lottery...

I run 4.3GHz with a -150mV offset for example however there's a little issue I've noticed with nothing changing the V on mine whether the offset is like -45mV or -150 (average is 1.165V target) so it's probably just a -45mV offset still...

Vasudev likes this.
  6. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    u still havent show us the proof mate!! gotta show those runs in a video or somethin

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you buy a PC or transformer that can OC to 5100GHz on notebook, unless your using Quantum powered super laptop.

ole!!! likes this.
  8. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    It really isn't that big of a deal. Most 7820HK's are just limited due to power management of the EC firmware.

Static voltage on 1.27V, multies up until 5.1ghz and there u go. It does depend on chip sometimes tho if you can get that high, also how high the core voltage has to be, I'd say depending on luck you can overclock until 4.9 - 5.2ghz. It's only an estimate tho.

Also most people who buy a 7820HK based system usually don't overclock it that high, since the performance in game is non existant.

Pete Light likes this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    So it was 5.1GHz. If you scroll back you can fix a typo, I actually mistook your CPU speed.

10. Danishblunt

Reputations:
    oh. I just realized hahahahaha. Yeah my bad :'D

Vasudev likes this.