Need new laptop leaning towards Ideapad 720s

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by samster712, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samster712

samster712 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi Everyone,

I’m looking for a new ultra book and as of right now i’m Leaning towards the Ideapad 720s that is available at micro center in the US for $999. Posting to get opinions on whether I should buy it or if there are any laptops that are better. I want to buy soon but I do have an IPad and my university computers so I can wait if there is something better coming out in the next month.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? <$1500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA, NYC

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Apple (only because i feel like I pay a premium for similar quality)
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes but maybe not preferred

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Word processing, video streaming, Light gaming (I play mostly League of Legends and Overwatch but may like to delve into other games like PUBG)

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both (to class and library mostly)

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Yes, see above. Mostly Steam, LOL and Overwatch

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? More the better but probably like 5-6 hours would be great

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Prefer to see it but not necessary

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows 10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.). 1920 x 1080 preferred.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.). No definitive preference

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really, mostly portability

15) When are you buying this laptop? WIthin the next month preferably

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? 3 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? yes

As I said above, I’m leaning towards the Ideapad 720s from micro center http://www.microcenter.com/product/487723/IdeaPad_720S_14_Laptop_Computer_-_Silver
    However I’ve also looked at the Acer Swift 3 and the Asus 331UX although I’m not sure when the Asus is going to come out and whether I should wait for it. Are there any other computers at a similar price point that I should consider over the Ideapad? Is the Ideapad a good computer to get/recommended? It seems like it has all the specs I would want for a really good price. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    If possible, consider upping the budget a bit since you can get a solid deal on the UX550VE here: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...asus_zenbook_pro_ux550-_-34-234-752-_-Product

i7 7700HQ
    16DB DDR4 2400
    512GB NVMe SSD
    1050 Ti
    Massive 8-cell battery that lasts for a good 8-9 hours
    Solid 1080p IPS display

The only real downside is that you will likely need to undervolt the CPU a bit since the BIOS has a pretty low thermal limit (probably placed to prevent the chassis from getting hot) and hence the CPU won't maintain turbo by default under heavy load. Undervolting is a great way to mitigate that.

3. samster712

Reputations:
    That’s a 15.6” which I really don’t want. I want it to be a thin and light/ultraportable. Plus I don’t understand what more I’d be getting with the Asus than the Ideapad for 700 extra dollars? The only thing that’s different is that with Ideapad I get what I’m assuming is a less powerful graphics card and less battery life but a newer more powerful CPU...At that price point I feel like I would get the surface book 2 for only $100 bucks more.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The 8000 series CPUs are all currently ULV models and thus about 20-25% slower than the 7000H models. So the i7 8550U is about 20-25% slower than the 7700HQ since the 8550U is limited to 15W and thus runs at much lower speeds when compared to the 45W 7700HQ

The 1050 Ti is also more than double the performance of the MX150.

Additionally, you're probably looking at a solid 40-50% increase in battery life and overall better build quality.

Lastly, the UX550 has extremely slim bezels and thus it is almost the same size as a typical 14" laptop.

5. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    7300hq scores 7000 in fire strike
    8250u easily scores 9000 with even some throttle

Asus is a horrible brand to recommend
    Lenovo.HP.clevo.MSI are recommeded starting places

Lenovo 720s considering price is the king of 14 inches

8550u turbos to 4 GHz...did not know 7700hq does to

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh and I owned three Asus laptops from three different generations. All had major issues and non beat the two year mark...one even caught fire ala 260m...yeah so its hard to recommend Asus....and htwingnut bought a ux laptop that throttles at 74c just lol lol

kojack likes this.
  7. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The 4GHz turbo is only maintained for 30 seconds before it drops to 2.2-2.6GHz. It's because the BIOS is hard-coded to lock the TDP at 15W and the 4GHz clock requires a solid 40W. You're also comparing to an i5 in Fire Strike for unknown reasons. Try comparing i7 to i7 in Cinebench or Adobe Media Suite.

Buying by brand is a very poor thing to do. Never blindly trust a brand because of the name - always review the model. In this case, the UX550VE is as good as it gets given the budget and requirements. If the author decides to go for a different laptop, that is his choice but fanboying and making up things is not going to help him make a good decision and basing your arguments on laptops from over 10 years ago seems very very poor.

8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    True. Firestrike is still an accurate comparison....brand alone is nothing....but its still relevant.

9. samster712

Reputations:
    So would you definitely recommend going with the 720s? I assume by “king of 14 inch” that you think its a great machine.

The Asus is actually not really in my budget, it’s $200 more than my budget and I don’t really want to spend 1500 to begin with (that’s really my max, poor grad student here) and it is still significantly bigger than the 720s 14” going off the stated dimensions.

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Being that you're in New York City, perhaps there's a store you can go see one in to see if you like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.