Need help with the 1060 in my p370sm3!

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by Dendrit3, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dendrit3

Dendrit3 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You guys suggesting to remove the sealant?

2. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would do so.

Then, clean everything well, put thermal paste on die, put shim, thermal paste on shim, heatsink, and screw it down, there is no way the shim will move much, if at all.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  3. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    No it was fine, the contact is absolutely bad. In my heatsink almost all the thermal paste gets pushed out due to the good and tight fit, yours shows that your heatsink and die barely make contact at all. I'd cut like on the pictures from the thread.

KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Depends on how you did it, if it's too much or at an angle it could have an impact.

5. Dendrit3

Reputations:
    To be honest I don't think the sealant is an issue, dont see any reason why to remove the sealant, the shim is covering the whole gpu die and there is a good contact. I tried multiple times and I still get the same results.

In this pic I put a small amount and it still covered the whole surface. As you guys see the sealant isnt in the way.

[​IMG]

6. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    You may want to start to listen to the guy who has a P37x notebook with a GTX 1060 and can't breach 70c on max load. Your fit is absolutely bad.

7. Dendrit3

Reputations:
    So you are suggesting to cut like in the picture you showed me?

8. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    either that or try to figure out why your fit is so bad. You can look at the thermal paste and you can see that a lot of the paste is on the GPU die. Preferbly you would want it so look "spotted" and not smeared and there should only be a VERY VERY thin layer left, there should be barely any tim left on the GPU die. The thermal compound should be pushed out of the sides.

I tried to get my GPU as hot as possible, I overclocked it to the absolute max, spend 15 minutes doing Firestrike benchmarks over and over again to see how far I can push the clockspeeds of my 1060.
    [​IMG]

Currently my room temperature is 29.5c, I have no coolerpad and I tried my darnest to get this thing to 70c, couldn't do it. Given that you have a 2part heatsink and didnt do a solderjob on the shim, i'd say you should get around 74-77c at MAX with the same conditions as my P375SM.

9. Dendrit3

Reputations:
    @Danishblunt Damn that's great temps, so tell me, would like to know how did you do it exactly? P375SM is pretty similar to the P370SM, right? perhaps better heatsink tho.

You only cut off that small part in the pic and went with thermal paste? No shims?

10. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Guest

Reputations:
    The heatsink design are almost identical, you have a 2 part heatsink and mine is soldered to the fins making it 1 part, that's the only real difference between our heatsinks. I did solder a shim onto the heatsink ( i think 1.5mm), as I told you per private message. I also did a little cutting and resoldering of the heatpipes on my heatsink as well and lapping of the fan. Currently getting a new fan because the stock on is quite bad.

11. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    The single parts can have the VRM heatpipe shorter leaving extra fin height too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.