1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Need help: Sony Vs Hp Vs Dell

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Brianthomas7, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brianthomas7

Brianthomas7 Notebook Enthusiast

I have been looking for a laptop for about a month now and it seems like there is something that I don't like about each one. I have been steering towards HP, Sony, Dell, and maybe Toshiba. Here is what I am looking for, any help would be great. Models I have been leaning towards: HP dv1000t or 5000, Dell 1505 or D620 Sony FJ, Toshiba A100
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Around $1000, $1500 max

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

Originally I wanted a 15.4", but I have been leaning towards 14" to get the extra battery life.

3) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

Web browsing, word processing, lots of excel use, music, movies.

4) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

I really want my notebook to be portable. I want to be able to just pick it up and go and have it work for awhile. I have heard that it won't leave my desk nearly as much as I think though

5) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games? No

6) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Prefer Sony, Dell, HP, Toshiba. Don't really care however.

7) How many hours of battery life do you need?

This is important. I want over 3 for sure. I keep reading many mixed responses as far as battery life tests. 3.5-5 without altering the look of the notebook would be ideal.

8) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person? No

9) What country are you buying this in?

U.S.

Screen Specifics

10) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

d. WXGA

e. WXGA+

11) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

I think I would prefer the glossy screen. I want a very detailed and sharp looking screen. This is also very important to me

Build Quality and Design

12) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Yes I want it to look good. I am having reservations about the dell's styling

13) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    2-4 years

14) Hard Drive space
    60 gigs

15) Do you need a DVD, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-R drive?

A dvd-cd/rw would be nice.

2. totti

totti Notebook Consultant

you could look at sony FS series

3. Brianthomas7

I don't know, I weeded that one out because I read that it has terrible battery life. Hardly over 2 hours.

4. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

How about the Asus Z62f? I think they offer a modular battery, but I could be wrong.

5. Tim

Tim Notebook Virtuoso

I think the dv1000 and the sony FJ would be good for you. Try to get the 12 cell battery on the HP one. It will help on battery life alot. :)
    Tim

6. dhb220

dhb220 Notebook Enthusiast

I love Sony's but cannot stand thier pricing typically....one computer I would look hard at from your need is the Latitude D620 and for these reasons:
    -Its hitting your desire for a 14 inch thin and light solution with a great battery life option.
    -Styling of Dell are never the best, but the new D620 looks quite better than most model.
    -2 to 4 years of longevity? Dell Small Business support...when you buy Latitude, you get their permium business support automatically. Though it is not perfect - its FAR better!

Sony and Toshiba systems are great in my book but pricey. Good luck!

Derek

7. Central

Central Notebook Consultant

Take a look at the Dell XPS M140 (also known as the Inspiron 630m). An awesome little notebook - it can be configured from a budget machine to something really quite powerful, and all with excellent battery life.

8. luee

luee Notebook Deity

Price and battery life seem to point to the HP with the 12 volter. Also nice screen and keyboard.

9. Brianthomas7

Thanks for the help everyone. The HP with a 12 cell battery would be a great option, I just don't want to add that kind of weight and have it stick out. Does anyone know a good hourly figure on the dv1000 with doing tasks such as browsing and word processing with the wifi on? I looked into the dell xps 140, I just don't like the styling of the machine. If dells looked like sonys or hp's, I would have a fully loaded 1505 for about $999 and be done.

10. Reize

Reize Notebook Virtuoso

The 12-cell for the DV1000 only adds about half a pound which is pretty negligible in my opinion.

11. Brianthomas7

Yes but I don't like the look of it sticking out. I went and "test drove" the dv1000 today, I can't say I loved the feel of it. I don't like the left and right click bottons or the finger bad. They both have texture feel that isn't pleasent The screen was very reflective, more so than the other 14" glossy screens around it. I love the sony's, I just wish the batter life wasn't horrible.

12. Reize

Reize Notebook Virtuoso

Yeah, I noticed HP Compaq's Glossy screens were much more reflective than others, but I prefer matte myself because I write a lot.

I don't like it sticking out either, good thing I don't need an enormous amount of battery life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.