NEED HELP ON LAPTOP... plz

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by gutlesswarrior, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gutlesswarrior

gutlesswarrior Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm looking for a laptop that will be able to support adobe cs3 and WoW without too much problem. I'd prefer something from Dell, but anything that has good reviews and is within the price range would be fine.

1) What is your budget?
    ~$700-$800 (this is more of a miracle price, anything under 1000)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    I'd prefer something larger because i don't want to pay just because it can fly in a breeze. Big screen, doesn't matter if it's heavy.

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Prefer Dell

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?
    moderate gaming (world of warcraft, counterstrike), websurfing, adobe (photoshop, illustrator, etc.) and school docs

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?
    I have a docking station at my Dad's house (so, kinda at a desk) but I'll be moving it from my Dad's to my Mom's every 2 weeks.

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?
    WoW, maybe Diablo 3, definitely Starcraft 3, CS

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Doesn't matter, i will rarely be far from an outlet

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?
    As long as it's not a single buy (eBay with no pics, used with no pics, so on)

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.
    I'm used to XP, but Vista would be fine too. unless one of you could teach me how to use Linux, I'd prefer to stick with MS.

11) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?
    I'm pretty ambivalent here, anything that i'll be able to change on a wide spectrum so that my comp wont freeze up on wow and so i can change it to high when i'm working on photoshop.

12) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?
    no idea, never noticed the difference.

13) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    not at all, i'm just looking for something that works well.

14) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?
    Before Christmas (possibly right after for the good deals), want it to last about 4 years if possible (not really a big issue).

15) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 500GB?
    I'm not really a pro with computers so i don't know what would be prefered (that's y i'm asking you guys :))I'm guessing a large hardrive seeing as how it needs to support wow and adobe.

16) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a CDRW/DVD-ROM, DVD Burner or Blu-Ray drive?
    Not a huge issue in my decision, as long as it can read burned cds and play the occasional dvd.

2. MadHater

MadHater Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would suggest HP dv5t. You can configure it to suit all your needs inside your budget.

Dell's laptops are pretty expensive. However, you can take a look at Vostro 1510.

Size of hard drive has no connection to WoW, except in amount enough to install the game (couple of GB's). Even though you shouldn't be going with something under 160GB.

3. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    I second the HP dv5t.

Also look at the Thinkpad T500.

4. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The DELL Studio 15 sounds like a perfect fit for you-

For $899 (after $270 instant savings), you get the following-

DELL Studio 15 (1537)
    Choice of Lid Color
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    2.26GHz Intel P8400 (1066MHz FSB, 3mb L2 cache)
    15.4" WXGA (1280x800) LED-backlit display
    3GB DDR2-800 RAM
    320GB Hard Drive
    256mb ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3450 discrete graphics
    8x Slot-Load CD/DVD Burner
    Intel 5100AGN wireless card
    Back-lit Keyboard
    Integrated Fingerprint Reader

6-cell Battery
    LINK- http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?cs=19&kc=6F967&oc=dnpcuy4&x=13&y=5

5. gguan

gguan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I third the Hp Dv5t but if you want dell get the XPS

6. ahl395

ahl395 Ahlball

Reputations:
    If you are going to go with Dell, get Studio 15, it doesnt have a defective GPU, as the XPS line may have.

7. allfiredup

Reputations:
    FYI- the dv5t, configured as closely as possible to the $899 Studio 15 model I posted earlier, currently costs $1074.99 via HP.com. At $175 more, it doesn't have an LED-backlit display or back-lit keyboard. It also has a weaker GPU, the nVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS, which lags behind the ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3450 by about 18% in 3DMark06 (1623 vs. 1912-3DMark06). In all fairness, the HP does offer the nVIDIA 9600M GT for another $100 and it blows away the ATI 3450/3650 and, obviously, lesser nVIDIA models. It also heats things up (literally, uncomfortably) and makes the HP's poor battery life even worse!

All of the HP's look great...sharper looking than the Dell Studio, I'll concede. But it's a case of form-over-function. The lid and chrome trim/wrist rest/touchpad smudge and attract fingerprints unlike anything I've ever seen. The polishing cloth included with the HP gets plenty of use! The Dell uses much lower-maintenance materials on the lid and keyboard/trim areas.

The best HP model, in my opinion, is the dv3510nr- $1099, BEST BUY exclusive. It has the nVIDIA 9300M GS, LED display, back-lit keyboard and 2-year warranty. At 13.3", it's smaller and lighter than any 15.4". The only deal-breaker- it's only available in Bronze (looks good on the lid, but interior trim is another story)!

Note- I bought an HP dv7t prior to my Dell Studio 15. After a week of using it, I returned it due to the constantly running fan (loudest notebook I've ever heard) and the heat issues from the 9600M GT. I'm happier with the Dell.

8. allfiredup

Reputations:
    The XPS M1530 looks better than the Studio 15 or any HP product, in my opinion. But the Studio 15 offers the newer Intel hardware (Centrino 2) and costs considerably less. The XPS is available with the nVIDIA 8600M GT, but the reliability of that GPU is an issue.

9. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    yep i gotta give my thumbs up for the DV5T/Studio 15 ALSO check out the Gateway MC :D

10. LucasDurant

LucasDurant Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The studio line is one of the best deals in notebooks in terms of value/performance ratio

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.