Need Help: Geforce GTX 1070n Successfully Installed in a G1 Zbook 15 but it's not perfect yet

Discussion in 'HP' started by ChanceJackson, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @triturbo Thx for rep! my current design works well enough to keep the GPU @ a max of 60C above ambient so it has never thermally throttled but I know I can do better with a superior design to that end I found the perfect Opteron 1u skivved copper heatsinks that I can get to a height of 16mm if I cut down the base I will use the expertise and a equipment of a local Fablab/Makerspace to work on it. before that I have to do all the Imagineering but I ended up just doing a bunch of benchmarking and obliterating all the GPU bound Benchmark results for the G1 15"/HP 1909 on HWbot and then lately i have just been playing videogames on it maxed out lol

triturbo likes this.
  2. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    It's perfectly understandable, making the cooling is half the fun, but putting it into good use is the other half :D Have some fun first and, no matter when, I'm eager to see your next design. I can chime-in if you want. BTW how close are fan's blades to the radiator? Is there any noise?

ChanceJackson likes this.
  3. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    The additional fan is sandwiched right between the Card and the radiator with most of the plastic not crucial to the fan blades removed it is pretty loud on full speed I'm hoping my next design will be efficent enough that the fan doesn't have to be at max

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    KY_BULLET likes this.
  4. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    A lot happened between the last post and now, I have moved and since then I was just playing video games on the incomplete laptop

my current plans include some new heatpipes with bends to decrease the overall height of my cooling additions as well as swapping on my novice fin stack for something that has been CNCed to perfection for the job. The colored lines represent the heat pipe design I am investigating yellow represents standard 3 mm wide flat pipe while the other 2 pipes are thicker 5-6mm pipes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    triturbo, kenarp and long2905 like this.
  5. kenarp

kenarp Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for your posts. I'm a user of ZOTAC zbox en1070, so I think we are using the same model of MXM graphic card. Since I believe that the power litmitation of my 1070 card need to be unclocked (I upgraded the cpu to i7 7700T and the whole power consumption of my PC is still under 140W ), I flashed a MSI m1070 vBios in order to get a better performance(Without backup the original vbios due to my carelessness). Unfortunately, it seems like the graphic card can't work well anymore, like the images show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

However, thanks to the original Zbox m1070 vBios attached in your former post, every thing came back to normal after I downloaded and flashed it. Really appreciate it.

My question gonna be, is that still possible to flash any other vbios to unlock my graphic card tdp limitation but make it works on my computer? Or do you think the problem is not about the MSI vBios I used but something like INF files need to be modified?

Thank you!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    ChanceJackson and long2905 like this.
  6. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    I'm glad I Could help! I'm wondering if it's the En Magnus mobo causing an issue, or possibly a bad flash backup was used

7. YKR

YKR Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    Awesome mod!
    I'm trying to replace a Zbook video card but I'm stuck .
    what is the Zbook bios version on your machine ?
    did you update the bios since the 1070 mod ?
    in the bios- system information - bios revision , does it state nvidia or intel ?

ChanceJackson likes this.
  8. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    i have the latest Bios as of when this thread was created I believe I updated my bios before i upgraded the card and my bios recognized my 1070 is an nVidia card.

Where are you stuck on your upgrade?

9. YKR

YKR Newbie

Reputations:
    I am trying to install a gtx765m( dell ) or m1000m ( hp -zbook g3 ) .
    the computer is set on native uefi.
    I am running windows 10 (1709 ) in test mode.
    I managed to modify & install the drivers for both cards but after restart I get error code 43 for both of them.

I think my problem is related to the fact that both cards don't show in the bios ( it says intel video ) , I will try more Vbioses from techpowerup

10. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    I assume you might have an LVDS vbios on those cards or your inf modifications are lacking something... are you using the same section ID that your laptop would have been using with the original card installed? that's what i recommend doing