Need Help: Geforce GTX 1070n Successfully Installed in a G1 Zbook 15 but it's not perfect yet

Discussion in 'HP' started by ChanceJackson, Apr 23, 2017.

1. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    triturbo likes this.
  2. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    triturbo likes this.
  3. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Waiting for the final version of the cooling. Keep it up!

ChanceJackson likes this.
  4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    did you use a msi gtx1070?

5. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    No this is the Zotac one but I am using the MSI vBios

triturbo and sicily428 like this.
  6. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    So I scrapped my initial heatsink design because I felt too much of it was poorly thought out, relying on very precise heatpipe bends, heatsinks sandwiched together to double the fin density and too much cooling mass consumed by the bases of those heat sinks so I scoured the web for a large heatsink with high density and chose

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Poweredge-SC1425-Copper-Heatsink-Pentium-Xeon-TW-0P4860-P4860/292122329682?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

then I proceeded to cut it up and combine 3 sections of it with 3 thin copper base plates to unify the pieces as one and test fitting before affixing the heatpipes

Attached Files:

triturbo likes this.
  7. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    I had issues keeping all 3 parts together during re-flows when right side up so I used epoxy on the outsides of the individual pieces
    then I set out to experiments with heatpipe locations and then soldered together a design and added a fan that I also worked on as part of this project it all worked well enough to keep my 1070n at 76c all throughout a firstrike run http://www.3dmark.com/fs/13098971 this is my second run that did not throttle but the prior one required significant external heatsink that were in a freezer before being strategically placed on the gpu plate

However in Overwatch the cooling would eventually hit 90-91c and throttle

Attached Files:

triturbo likes this.
  8. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    After finding out my custom cooler could not cut it alone I decided it was time to fuse the stock cooling system with my added parts.

First i needed to overlay a stock cooler over my custom system and make some markings, then I needed to reflow the solder in order to carefully desolder the heatpipe that was in the way.

Then let things cool enough that the solder was solid so I could put that pipe where I needed it without risking moving any other pipes and in the same move place the stock coolers heatpipe along the core of the vapor chamber

now just need to make some cuts to the bottom part of the top cover so that it will fit but in terms of performance It was able to keep the GPU alternating between 83 and 84c in Overwatch after several minutes this however cause my PSU to overheat and shutoff to protect itself and the laptop reverted to battery in which case the system locked OW to 30fps and temps plummeted I will continue with this when I get home

Attached Files:

triturbo likes this.
  9. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    triturbo likes this.
  10. ChanceJackson

Reputations:
    triturbo likes this.