Need help, flashing 2080 Max-Q

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by JRey, Feb 12, 2019.

1. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey everyone.
    I'm looking to flash my 2080 Max-Q 80w into the 90w. I found someone reliable with a 90w bios of the same card.
    Any help is appreciated. I'm pretty afraid to flash a laptop honestly even though I've flashed desktop GPUs.

Thanks.
    -JRey

2. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just make sure you have a backup of the original vbios somewhere safe in case the flash turns out bad.

Ultra Male and Vasudev like this.
  3. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Anyone know any particular requirements we need to fulfill? To add a bit into the topic, the 90w version JRey has is from the Razer laptop, so how safe is to flash that vbios to the MSI 2080?

4. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Is the 2080 vBIOS embedded into the MSI BIOS image? I would reach out to Svet on the MSI forums and see if you can't get him to add the option rom and recompile the BIOS image and make it flashable. I'm almost certain you don't have a dedicated vbios chip. You can test this by simply trying to save your current vbios file using GPU-Z.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    GPU-Z has issues even on cards with their own vBIOS chip. I had to use NvFlash to dump mine.

Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No doubt it can, but it has been my experience that you can't dump the vbios if it's contained in the BIOS image.

7. Zill

Zill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I would really like to know if you guys get this working.

I would like to flash my 2070 MQ (TongFang 15) using the bios of the same laptop but 17 inch with the full 2070 ( could be anywhere between 90-115W) and experiment with it.

I also believe that the vbios is embedded in the mobo so most chassis from same manufacturer should be compatible but might require some modding.

If anyone could give me even the slightest glimpse of hope of lifting my 2070 MQ power limit somehow (initially wanted to flash the razer 2070 MQ 90W vbios but different manufacturer is a prob) I would be IMMENSELY grateful. Would really help me with my depression

Thank you.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I don't think you can bypass security restriction and not to mention different vendor id. You can try undervolting it using MSI AB for getting consistent FPS and frametime within rated TDP of 80W. Main issue will be thermal limits. I think Razer puts 80C as thermal limit.

Vistar Shook and jaybee83 like this.
  9. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven’t been successful with flashing via nvflash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vasudev likes this.
  10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    So you flashed same brand to a non Max Q vbios? This is what I want to try with the GS75, flash a GE75's vbios to make it a full GPU. The problem in my case is the PSU won't like it and I don't think we have higher wattage PSUs of this same connector.

A full RTX2080 on the GS, while limiting clocks and undervolting a bit might work... I think 100W should be more than fine ;)

jaybee83 and Vistar Shook like this.