Need help deciding on gaming laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by InfectedSonic, Aug 8, 2019.

1. InfectedSonic

InfectedSonic Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    United states
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    I don't discriminate
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No I want a new one

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming and watching movies

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both but portability doesn't matter

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) All of em

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Battery life is of no consequence

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    That's ok

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p minimum

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Not important

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really but don't want a fugly notebook

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    Not important

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now would be nice but I don't mind waiting

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    As long as possible

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? Not having one would suck but I'll live

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? As long as it comes back fixed the first time it's ok

I had my eyes on the clevo 775 with 9700k and rtx 2080 but have been looking at the area 51m also just really concerned with overheating

2. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alienware 51m has a high failure rate, you can find examples in these forums and on Reddit. Take a look at something like MSI GT76 instead. You should never have overheating issues with that - it has huge air intake on bottom and plenty of exhausts on back and sides and MSI goes as far as polishing the heatsink surface for better heat conductivity (smooth metal surface always transfer heat better than the one with scratches).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. InfectedSonic

Reputations:
    I want something that's upgradeable for future gpus. I also do not want a maxq gpu. I'm not sure if either of those things apply to the msi that you mentioned I still need to look it up. As for the Alienware failure rate it's my understanding that it was due to the gpu and it has been rectified or am I mistaken?

4. Felix_Argyle

Felix_Argyle Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Alienware does have a removable video card but you may never see any upgrades for it in future. And I am not sure they fixed the issue which was causing some components to burn up - they never officially confirmed this. In any case, I would recommend an extended warranty for it if you will be buying it and I would avoid buying it from any third-party reseller because it caused some issues for some people (Dell was telling some people that some resellers are not authorized to sell).

5. InfectedSonic

Reputations:
    I looked for a long time at my options and I decided to order the Alienware area 51m. For the best possibility of upgrades in the future but also because I got it for 798 off with their sale along with a coupon code I found.