Need Help Deciding I've Reached Analysis Paralysis

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mundane, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Mundane

Mundane Newbie

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    Unlimited, if the price matches the performance I am willing to continue to climb. If at a certain point, performance becomes negligible then thats where I want to stop...the sweet spot.

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

I am open to all sizes. I have looked at nearly every laptop brand and laptop these past few months. It appears that a desktop replacement-esque laptop would suit my needs best. There is a caveat though, I am currently in the military and might be getting out next March. I have thought about a laptop for college if I decide to go back. My question is...Do students bring laptops to class? I graduated 2015 from college and I never took my laptop. It was a distraction.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Apple (seems to be a waste of money now), Sager (really like the bang for buck), Alienware (always wanted one), ASUS (new 14inch with AMD 4000 series looks really interesting)
    b. Dislike: I have only used 2 laptops in my life one cheap Acer for college and then I bought a 2011 MacBook Pro which I am currently still using.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Surfing the internet and occasional gaming and maybe some Netflix

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    75% on my desk and 25% on my lap in the living room. Maybe 60-40

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Warcraft 3 Reforged, RPGs, RTS, FPS.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    I keep my laptop plugged in the majority of the time

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Without seeing it is okay

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Been on MacOS forever. At work I am on Windows. I like both.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    I have a 1440p Dell 27" to connect to so resolution doesn't matter. Although, if your laptop is 1080p and you connect to 1440p screen what happens?

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)

Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

It is not

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    I have had my MacBook for 10 year and have used about 250gbs. I think 512 is minimum and 1TB would be nice.
    Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Whenever my wife realizes my MacBook Pro is trashed. It barely stays connected to wifi. I am hoping by June.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    I appreciate longevity. I would like to see 5 years.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Probably forever.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

I could ship it.

2. HealzKween

HealzKween Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, so first off - Yes, students do take laptops to class, in fact they take them everywhere. I'm a writer, but I also teach workshops and I teach plenty on college campuses. So, Asus is a great brand, Alienware looks cool but you'll run into performance issues in less than a year, if you're looking for a good workhorse with longevity, my favorite is the AERO 15, I have the OLED display because I do a lot of client presentations and it just can't be beat. But, if you're wanting a refresh rate for gaming, they have an FHD model. One of the reasons I totally dig my laptop is because it just keeps going no matter the multi-tasking load I've got going and it doesn't overheat. I have an old Asus (and I mean it's old) and it always got way too hot way too fast (even new). I've had my AERO 15 for about 6 months now I really love how smooth it is to work on, my clients LOVE my presentations, and it just doesn't overheat. Great workhorse, looks good and is super light so I'm not killing my shoulder when I'm on the go. I do game a bit on it, it's technically a laptop for creating content, but it games fine - I'm a pretty casual gamer any more since I have to work and write - but I still play WoW on it from time to time and really enjoy it. Now if only I'd gotten the RTX Studio versions...those look slick.