Need help choosing the next laptop

Discussion in 'MSI' started by nader_rizk2003, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    IIRC the 18" models usually lag the others in terms of announcement and release. While I haven't heard anything about them I'd guess there will be an RTX version eventually. Whether they get a better panel will likely determine whether I recommend them.

2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly, the limit of the bigger 18 machines was that there isnt a big enough market for that particular size, so there arent as good or varied panel options right? I liked MSI GT80 series and the idea, but since SLI had really dwindled including how only the RTX 2080/ti support it and not the lower end GPUs, I think the GT8X line will either die or evolve into something else.

Imo they should make the GT8X line their full desktop monster, and single GPU. Change it so that they use socketed CPUs and the higher end single full GPU. I believe 18 inchers would only have 4K screens as option instead of high refresh, but the best would be a high refresh 1440p panel.

3. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I love the GT83's size but as long as it has that 60hz crappy panel I won't touch it

nader_rizk2003 likes this.
  4. Support.3@XOTIC PC

Support.3@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    That's pretty much exactly it, while they're popular and sell pretty well, I don't think they move in enough volume to incentivize really good but still affordable panels for them.

ryzeki likes this.
  5. nader_rizk2003

nader_rizk2003 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    you are right. the GT83 is very good but as you said the 60hz panel is bad

6. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    It's not bad, its simply outdated. It was okay almost 4 years ago. At this point every competitor either has a sharper, faster or better looking panel, so its definitely a disadvantage.

nader_rizk2003 likes this.