Need help choosing new work laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Punchdrunk, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've filled in the form below.

I'm looking for a thin and light for my new job, IT Director. I've narrowed it down to 3 models, but was hoping someone with experience of these laptops could help me decide.

option 1 : LG Gram 16.
    I love the screen size, performance seems very good. I bought a gram 17" a year ago for my dad and was very impressed by it. Not aware of any downsides except possibly durability issues?

option 2 : Lenovo x1 carbon gen 9.
    Always loved the x1 carbons, I've not had the chance to play with one since gen6 I think. The keyboards are a big pro for me. 14" is about as small as I'm willing to go on screen size. I was very surprised to find noone talking about this in the forums here... Noone has these? something wrong with them. Main downside is cost...

option 3 : Dell XPS 13
    lovely form factor, but don't like the keyboard on the one i'm using (2nd gen so probably very different).
    screen is really the biggest issue, 13" is borderline dealbreaker...

Any other models I should consider?

Thank you
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Work will pay, hoping they'll stretch to £1700

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen this would be ideal

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? uk

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? possibly, never stock when i've looked

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? I work in IT support, lots of remote desktop, server admin kind of stuff. a bit of video conferencing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? travel to and from office

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) possibly light gaming, wow classic

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 4 minimum

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? much prefer to see and test, but not always possible, never seen an x1 carbon in the shops, have seen older models owned by clients and loved it

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. windows, possibly osx

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) full hd, or 2k

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) wont work outside so not too fussed

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? fairly

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? at least 512gb

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? next month or 2

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? at least a year

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? couple of weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?

==========

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    If you like the ThinkPad keyboard and want something a little bigger, the T15 might be worth a look. It offers a weak sauce GPU, but that should be good enough for wow, and an excellent 4k LCD, though 4k screens do tend to hit the battery harder than 1080p.

3. Punchdrunk

Reputations:
    Thanks, I have looked at the T15 gen 2, without the optional nvidia card which seems pointless as it's barely faster than the built in XE one. It's a bit heavier than I'd like, and I don't think the reviews were glowing, but I'll double check.
    Given the prices, I've ruled out 4k as it's definitely straying into the "too much" category, I'd rather spend the roughly £200 for 4k on more ram or a better cpu.

4. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I'd probably go with the Gram. It seems reasonably well built for its size, and the weight is unparalleled. The Iris XE graphics will be more than sufficient for light gaming and medium/low settings. Plus you can connect an eGPU to it if you need a bit more grunt in that department - that is once desktop graphics card supplies improve and prices fall back to earth.

5. Punchdrunk

Reputations:
    yeah I'm leaning towards the gram, only hesitating because I remember how awesome the keyboard and build quality was on the older carbon x1s I got to try out.
    I tried out last years gram 17 and really liked it, but I'm not sure how tough it is, the screen got scratched within a week of my dad having it.

6. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I hope there was accidental coverage. As always with durability and longevity, chance plays a big role.

7. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have never heard of anyone complain about a thinkpad keyboard or build quality. Depending on how the screen got scratched, it would happen to any machine. The new Dell 16 plus is an awesome machine as well.

8. Punchdrunk

Reputations:
    I don't know how the screen got scratched, it was in a bag at the time and carefully handled. The scratches are obvious when the screen is off, but fortunately not visible when it's on.

I've not heard of the Dell 16 but will check it out.
    -- apparently not available in the EU
    Still think it's weird noone on the forums is talking about the X1 Carbon.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The 16 plus should be listed on the site very soon. It was "officially" released on June 3rd. It takes them a few days to update their site. X1 Carbon is nice device too.

10. Punchdrunk

Reputations:
    was about to pull the trigger on the X1 carbon, when I found this : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...on-Gen-9-Throttling-Issues/m-p/5073083?page=1

seems like it has serious throttling issues, "might" be fixed by bios, will investigate further. It also overheats when using a usb-c monitor and charging at the same time, which seems like a MAJOR design flaw. Not a usage scenario for me, but still concerning.

Rokobo likes this.