Need Convertible Notebook for New College Student

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Locker420, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Locker420

Locker420 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My niece is graduating from high school (valedictorian!) and I'm buying her a lappy for college in the fall. She wants a convertible notebook, something like a XPS 12 Convertible Touch Screen Ultrabook but not being up on the latest gear I need some feedback from the pros.

Don't know if these specs are reasonable but I'd like to have a minimum of an i7 processor (3630m would be nice) and 8GB of ram. Any help would be most appreciated. If the XPS is the best choice, so be it but I'm not dropping cash without getting some further perspective.

Thank you!

- L

General Questions

1) What is your budget? Not important

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: MSI, Clevo, Compal, Asus
    b. Dislike: All lower end retailers

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Office programs and multi-media

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Will be carrying frequently

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Not primarily

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

Not sure what's "standard". Long battery life is one of the higher priorities.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

Online is preferred.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Windows 8

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. Click here for Screen resolution information.

1080p Touch or better

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen?

Not a priority

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not a priority

15) When are you buying this laptop?

ASAP

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

4 years minimum

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

250 GB minimum SSD or 7200rpm SATA

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

DVD drive required... Blu-ray nice to have but not a priority

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I'm just curious, office and media doesn't scream for a quad core or 8GB of memory. My seven year old R60e can do that without much trouble. I don't think it says touch either. Most of the notebooks that would fit the touch requirement would be ultraportable type touch notebooks, but those will be expensive to equip with 8GB of memory if you can get it at all. Ultrabooks won't have optical drivers by definition. Being ultrabooks, they'll have small batteries, meaning long battery life won't be real likely either. I think you should figure out what's most important cause I don't think anyone is making the notebook you want. Maybe someone knows of something I don't. Probably the closest thing I can think of is the Fujitsu T902 tablet.

3. Locker420

Locker420 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ZaZ you've given me some excellent information. I figured my desired specs would need to be tweaked to what's reasonable and you've really helped me out. The highest priority is the convertibility. Everything else comes second and you've armed me for further searching. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.