Need Cheap, Cheap CHEAP Toughbooks

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Okay... I opened my mouth to family members about how many laptops I had and put out a "Who needs a laptop?" email... I got a ton of responses. Most are for kids (teens or below) that don't need mega space or speed. Can anyone suggest options? The last thing I want to do is to have to buy barebones units for cheap and then have to pony up $100 for a caddy for each. I'd like them to be W7 or W10 units... Though if I can get XP COA units... I'd be cool with that.

Suggestions would be great or if someone has something to trade you can PM me.

I didn't want to post this in the BST area as I am really looking for options and ideas at this point.

Thanks!

2. Shawn

Shawn Crackpot Search Ninja and Options Whore

Reputations:
    I have
    A cf 52 gun with a touchscreen
    I have an old Macbook with win 7 running nicely on it.
    An old Macbook with osx on it.

Don't know what your price range is. The Macbooks would be probably the cheapest and they don't need a special caddy.
    Macbooks will install windows 7 very easily.

3. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Thanks Shawn... I need like 4-6 pretty much all the same. If kids get different ones... They fight. I love my little CF-c1... And I see some CF-c2's being sold by the lot on eBay... Just poking around.

Did I read somewhere someone bought a bunch of Netbook type Toughbooks?

4. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    I have been happy with the last of the CF-T8 models, but they still suffer from the hinge crack one ones that were abused. Are you wanting i3/i5 models up or a good old core 2 duo model will work?

5. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    the C1 units are very workable .
    as a basic machine , there is nothing really wrong with them except for two things :
    battery availability
    the damnable roundy mousepad

the C2 units are pretty nice all the way around ... all things taken into account .
    the batteries , while being more available than those for the C1 , are still nonetheless pricey .
    the price of a C2 is on average , higher than a C1 (about 200 clams versus 50-100 bucks) .

a '30 might be the best bet ; cheap enough and plenty of them (just like the girls of my younger days) .
    the batteries are more available at a more reasonable price (relatively speaking) .
    the caveat with these is the number of hours on the cclfs that makes the display dim and the color temperature/response (CRI) absolutely the pits .
    (the ccfls can be replaced ... they are cheap on sleazebay or at alimcgraw express)

the '31 is pricey ... unless you get a lot of them on an auction and no one else really bids on them .
    but , if they come without batteries , caddies and a hdd ... yer screwed (like some other models) .

another potential problem that might happen is that even if all the comps are the same model with the same os with the same sized hdd ...
    the cosmetics : "how come mine has a 1/4" scratch on the corner of the lcd and his doesn't ?" .

Starlight5 likes this.
  6. CWB32

CWB32 Need parts for my flying saucer.

Reputations:
    ya know ...
    maybe the easy out on this is to get a bunch of those 'droid based pads .
    the prices on them are pretty low ...
    cheesebay and ali have tons of them .
    i would not get one with less than 'droid 5.xx on it .

something i just thought of ...
    with the TB stuff , you most likely will be married to it for tech support and repair .

7. Shawn

Reputations:
    UNCNDL1 likes this.
  8. Shawn

Reputations:
  9. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Yeah... I need a keyboard and Windows based.... The C1-C2 looks good but still a little pricey for something I am going to be giving away.

I have a bunch of CF-30s... But not enough caddies. Plus I am not sure about a 10 year old lugging around a 10 pound laptop... though I am sure the boys would love it... And they would be pretty much indestructible.

10. ADOR

ADOR Evil Mad Scientist

Reputations:
    The Mk3 up 19 has LED screen so that could be a option as well. That would cut the weight in half. Just no DVD drive.