Need car advice: BMW X5 vs. MB M Class

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If it's for your parents, shouldn't they be the ones who test drive it?

2. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great that you want to buy your parents someone's seconds, and I applaud you for the thought, it really is a great gesture. But are you sure you want to buy them a car? I bet that your parents (and most other parents) would not want their child to go into debt or spend their money on buying cars for them, and that they would still love you even if you didn't buy it. Heck, my parents won't even accept gifts over $1000 from me...they tell me to take it back every time and put the cash towards a college fund for my kids.

If you can afford it, great, but by the sounds of it, it doesn't sound like you can if you're looking for 4 year old used BMW and Benzes...

3. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We will be going together, I will be more of a consultant.

Money is not an issue. I got enough saved up to buy one with cash, and can definitely get good financing options if I need it. I just refuse to buy new cars because they will depreciate like mad. Also, I'm only looking ~2 year old cars.

4. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    luxury car purchases are not the same as buying a piece of junk Ford or Chevy. they are 'luxury' brands for a reason.

buying a lease returned vehicle is a VERY smart option. especially when u are interested in a luxury brand. lease agreements come with very strict rules that the leasee must abide by. 2 of the many rules are keeping the vehicle in tip top shape and staying within the agreed miles per month. that means that such cars have a less likely chance of being mistreated, and u're sure it won't be a high mileage vehicle. would u rather buy a so called "someone's second" like that or the same vehicle from a private party or a used car lot...?

5. Kinghong1970

Kinghong1970 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hmm... you live in NJ near NYC... (i'm in upper bergen county btw)
    so i guess you know of and seen all the x5's out there on the road... and the M classes as well... and yea, cayenne, dime a dozen...

i loved my bmw, hated the maintenance, and got shafted for trade in value... it was a 97 540i.

seems repair bills seem to get more frequent and higher...

i still love bmw's... and definitely bmw over a mb imho, but don't know if i'll ever buy another bmw... maybe if they come out with a wicked m5...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.