Need car advice: BMW X5 vs. MB M Class

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    I think the cayenne used to look better. Do they still make the taureg?

2. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed. Current Cayenne is sexy as hell. :cool:

The Touraeg is still made, yes.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I stand corrected. It looks like the 3rd row was offered until 2002.

4. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The one with the body kit looks way better, but I don't plan on modifying this car other than tinting the two front side windows. If the Cayenne came out of the factory with the TechArt kit then it would be a formidable opponent to the X5 and ML.

5. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Neither cars are good if you need 7 seats. I've owned the x5 and the extra seat option only fits children/really small people. I was in the same boat as you and ended up with the bmw because I felt it drove more similar to a sedan and had tighter control. I believe it was also cheaper than the Mercedes. Personally I think the cayenne is hideous. then again I've never been a Porsche fan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

6. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are you sure you want to lease? I've always viewed lease returns and used vehicles as someone else's seconds. If you're looking at cars like this you better be budgeting for the maintenance and/or repairs. The electrical systems in these cars (especially the Mercedes) are horrible. I have 4 co-workers who drive late model Mercedes cars and it seems they always have some sort of issue with them.

If you're looking for a family hauler why not go with a brand new vehicle from a more mainstream brand? It'd be cheaper and you'd have full warranty. Why BMW or Mercedes...two of the most expensive cars to prolong? Obviously they are luxury brands but I can't fathom why you need a family hauler to be such. Is it for the prestige?

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I agree with this. Vehicles such as the Chevrolet Traverse, Honda Pilot, and Mazda CX-9 offer better passenger and cargo accommodations and are not terribly expensive provided you keep a lid on options. If you want something that looks a bit more upscale, the GMC Acadia (rebadged Traverse) is an excellent alternative.

8. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    I'm not leasing. I'm buying a lease-return/certified-preowned SUV. It's actually for my parents, not me. And yes, it is for prestige. They drove the same crappy car (yes, one car) for the past 11 years so they can afford to pay $25K/year for 4 years of my undergrad tuition, and $60K/year for 2 years of my graduate tuition, the least I can do is get them the nicest car I can afford. Houstoned got me looking at the Cayenne too. I think it's hideous, but my parents do not, so I guess that would work as well.

And personally, I'm against buying brand new cars. Cars are the worst investments, and new cars have lose their value the fastest. Not really looking to argue about this with anyone who does not agree, but that's what I believe, and that's what I'm sticking with.

9. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    In addition to the Cayenne, previously mentioned VW Touareg and also Audi Q7 all share same roots.

10. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    Mom doesn't want an Audi because she says "all my friends drive Audis." Haha, I will test drive some of the cars mentioned above and come back and let you guys know the decision/final contenders!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.