Need car advice: BMW X5 vs. MB M Class

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by AmazingGracePlayer, Jun 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm buying a car soon (within the next month), and I'm trying to decide which one of the two I would like... I'm looking at certified pre-owned/lease returns, so the 2013/2012 models are mostly out of the equation. I have my mind set on the X5 or the M class, but don't know which one to pick. Here are some questions...

1. Which X5 sub-model seats 7? Which M sub-model seats 7?
    2. In terms of cost to maintain/repair, which one is cheaper?
    3. Do both cars come with diesel options? If so, which is better?
    4. This is all about your opinion, but which would you prefer and why?

2. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    Where do you live? Because what is available can depend on where you are. Also what kind of engine do you want? I see you want diesel, but are you looking for something big and burly, or do you want the model that is cheapest on fuel?

3. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. I believe that most X5 trims offer the third row. No ML has offered a third row since the first generation car. Keep in mind that the X5's third row is tiny, I'd recommend it only for the 12 and under set, if that.

2. This I dont know. Check out sites like edmunds TMV, CR, and TrueDelta for this info.

3. Both models can come with diesels, again I dont know which is better per say.

4. Personally, I love the ML more. It's a very handsome machine indeed.

4. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    I live in NJ, very close to NYC. Not sure what type of engine I want. I know diesel is good on gas, but is more prone to issues than petrol. I'm looking for something that's more comfortable than sporty, it will mainly be used for long road trips with the family etc.

5. booboo12

Reputations:
    Have you considered larger 3 row SUV's/CUV's like Ford Flex, Mercedes GL or Infiniti JX? Those all have more roomy third rows than the X5 + more cargo space behind said third row, especially the Ford. The Flex is reasonably efficient and the GL is available with a diesel engine.

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    out of those 2, the ML would be more comfortable than sporty. the X5 is pretty "nimble" for what it is.

my personal favorite SUV: Porsche Cayenne.

7. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    M-Class has never offered 7-passenger seating. X5 models made after the 2007 redesign offered a 3rd-row option, but it was clunky to fold and not very spacious.

They're both going to be very expensive once you're out of warranty. Not sure how old a vehicle you're looking to get, but BMW does offer free scheduled maintenance for the duration of the basic warranty (4 years/50,000 miles) while Mercedes does not. The maintenance plan doesn't extend beyond that, but BMW covers its certified pre-owned vehicles with a an extra 2 year/50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (so 6 years/100,000 total miles). M-B's CPO warranty is only 1 year/50,000 when the 4/50 basic plan expires.

Diesel became available on both the M-Class and X5 for the 2009 model year. They're both terrifically powerful and surprisingly efficient (mid-20s mpg compared to high teens for the gas ones). One thing to note, though, is that these diesels use a urea exhaust aftertreatment system (to make them emissions legal) that needs periodic maintenance.

As far as which is better, they're about the same. The Mercedes engine is a bit quieter, but the X5 feels stronger.

As much as I love the X5, for your needs and since you mentioned comfort is a priority, I'd go for the Benz. I think the M-Class is more comfortable, refined, and quieter than the X5.

8. booboo12

Reputations:
    I'm a pedantic nerd so sorry, but the first generation M class offered third row seating, my friend's has it. It's about as good as a X5's but it's usable in a pinch.

9. AmazingGracePlayer

Reputations:
    I'm looking to get a certified preowned/lease return. So probably 2008 - 2010, depending on what the dealers have in stock. I will test drive both cars soon and post back with some results!

I don't want something that's too big, otherwise I would have gotten the Escalade since I'm a die-heart Cadillac fan.

I don't like the Cayenne. It's looks like a fat frog.

10. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    u crazy, crazy person!

ONLY SUV i'd ever buy!!!

[​IMG]

slap a TechArt kit on there with some 22" concave wheels and break necks.

[​IMG]

TECHART - Highlights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.