Need basic laptop - Ssd or hard drive?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by cmp1111, Mar 4, 2021.

1. cmp1111

cmp1111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Lenovo Ideapad 1T HDD, 6 Gb RAM that’s getting old but has worked more or less fine. Since I work in a school office, we are in and out of remote and it’s just getting too slow for that kind of multitasking on the days I have to stay home. Looking for something newer and faster. I just don’t know if I still need a traditional hard drive or if the newer SSDs would handle what I do. I use the Microsoft Office suites and when working, need Adobe CC to work as well. Personally, I can get by with less, mostly web based stuff - but I do like to store some picture files and need room for some gaming files as well.

i do almost insist on a number pad as I do a lot of accounting tasks both at work and for the household/volunteering.

I am fairly savvy as a user, not a programmer, but was able to reprogram the most annoying thing in my current Ideapad, where the shift and up arrow keys just seemed to be placed wrong. I was able to reassign them.

Any help on whether I should be looking for the solid state or hard drive would be appreciated, as well as some idea of what’s “good” currently for processors and RAM for my level of use.

thanks!

General Questions

1) What is your budget? $500-$600

2) What size notebook would you like?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Lenovo, Toshiba
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Mainly web work and Office Suite, some Adobe CC possible, light gaming

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly at home in two areas, but may travel some.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) I do play The Sims 4 which is not a speed thing necessarily, but does need memory files.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 4 would be fine.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is fine.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows
    Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesn’t matter too much
    13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) don’t care

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not as much as ergonomics

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? ??? Current laptop has only about 300GB used out of 1T

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? ASAP

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 4 years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? A week

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Ship is ok

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  3. cmp1111

cmp1111 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the quick response. I don’t think that screen is big enough for work multitasking, and there’s no number pad. But, from my specs, would the SSD size and 8GB memory be good enough?

I’m realizing that I may need to go higher in the budget for some of the features I want...