Need advice - what to do about summer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Melody, Apr 23, 2012.

?

Which option should I try?

1. Option 1 (evenings & weekends)

20.0%
  2. Option 2 (partial week)

50.0%
  3. Option 3 (partial summer)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Option 4 (another job)

10.0%
  5. Other

20.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    So school's ending next month for me and I've managed to get an internship in my field for the summer! I'm super excited about that :)

Only problem is...the internship is unpaid. So I'm thinking of getting a 2nd part-time job to get cash inflow; I'm just not sure what kind of arrangement I should be taking. I've asked my intern boss and he said he understands that I might need to work a paying job so he's somewhat flexible in that regard. The job itself is your pretty average 9-5 job, however do note it's about 30min-1h away from where I live (depending on traffic).

Now I've managed to find a Staples store that's willing to take my on part time, even during their high season (aka back to school season). Main issue: it's about 20-30min away from where I live (and not between my house and my internship).

So here's the options I've thought of so far:

Option 1:
    I can keep the internship during the week, and do Staples during the weekend/evening. However, due to proximity issues, I'd probably have to ask my boss to end at 3:30-4pm as opposed to 5 to be able to make it for an evening shift.

Option 2:
    I could ask my boss to work 3-4 days a week and dedicate the other 3-4 days to Staples entirely.

Option 3:
    I can ask my intern boss to do only 2-3 months' worth of internship (since I'm unpaid and the duration was never set in stone) and work the rest of the summer at Staples.

Option 4:
    I can find another part-time job entirely, maybe one either closer to home or in the same area as my internship. Main downside is that I'd lose my benefits at Staples (so salary increases, paid vacation days, health insurance and whatnot) and I can't guarantee I'll find myself a job any time soon if I go this route.

So those are my options. I'm leaning towards either 1 or 2, but 1 would leave me little free time for my summer and 2 might not work if I ask for a entire day(s) off (I don't want to look unprofessional or uncommitted).

What would you guys do? Do you have any other solutions I might not have thought about? :confused:

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    It's always nice to still keep part of the internship for job references, it's what gets you nice connections later in life. Where's the part to improving one's Chinese? Or SC2 skills :p

3. redrazor11

redrazor11 Formerly waterwizard11

Reputations:
    Option 5: Spend less, work less.

No amount of money or job experience will balance out the daily grind of wishing your life away, waiting for the next weekend or holiday.

4. Kuu

Kuu That Quiet Person

Reputations:
    Boo Staples, never again -got fired from one-

What are you going to be doing there?

5. whitrzac

whitrzac The orange end is cold...

Reputations:
    I work 40hrs a week and go to school for another 30...

I had 1 full day off last month... I slept for 12-13hrs strait....

The $$$$ is good, and I do enjoy the things that I can buy(like my miata) but with no time to use anything...

EDIT: I live at home, without any children/etc I can't imagine what some people go through...

6. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Well I don't really spend much to begin with and besides, University isn't going to pay itself, nor the mortgage I contribute to :p

I'd love more free time to be honest, but if I have no money I can't go out to begin with anyways D:

Same thing I've been doing at the other one so most likely part computers, part aisles, part cashier and part copy center.

One of my friends works there though so that's the main reason I'm going! I love the people from my old store, never a dull moment :D

7. wild05kid05

wild05kid05 Cook Free or Die

Reputations:
    Option 6: be a liver of life, go do something fun.. speaking of that, I will be joining a flight introductory class with some behind the wheels :D in a few weeks

8. burkle25

burkle25 Are you a color?

Reputations:
    Changing my vote from Option 1 to Option 2

Keep the internship and the job.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Option 2. Better to work at only one place any given day. Otherwise too much stress.

10. Qing Dao

Qing Dao LORD OF THE UNDERWORLD

Reputations:
    I use to love juggling 2 jobs at once. When it works smoothly, it works out great. When there is some difficulty scheduling it to flow well, it sucks a lot and you waste a lot of time. Whatever you do, if you work both the same day, try to make it so you can go straight from one to the other and start work immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.