Need advice on "Chromebooks"

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Angelic, Sep 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angelic

Angelic Kickin' back :3

Reputations:
    I have no idea how these differ from a regular "ultra portable", but I assume they just use a Chrome OS in place of Windows. Anyway, I'm only going to use this for web surfing. Primary concern: Battery life!

Thanks guys! :)

1) What is your budget? ~350

2) What size notebook would you prefer?a. Netbook; 10” screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12” screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator. USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like? Im out of the loop....Acer used to be poor...but Im open to suggestion!

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web surfing

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Travel

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? Nope

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? As much as possible!!!!

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, etc. Chrome OS should be fine...?

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? SSD

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? Nope!

2. Angelic

Reputations:
  3. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    That processor in the Asus is no better than an Atom. I would rather ask you to look at the Acer C720 which gives you 8 hours of run-time with normal internet browsing. Tested and confirmed at multiple review sites.

Amazon.com : Acer C720-3404 11.6-Inch Chromebook (Intel Core i3, 4 GB) Granite Gray : Computers & Accessories

Arstechnica
    Laptopmag
    Notebookreview

4. Angelic

Reputations:
    To be fair, it's almost double the price (The Asus is only $200!), and I don't see why I'd need the i3 in a laptop like this, if I'm just web browsing anyway. Plus reviews are saying the Asus gets 10+ hours of battery life. Thoughts? Is the Celeron unable to run 1080p video? That would be my biggest fear, but I heard it could.

I also don't think the 4gb or upgraded 32gb ssd matters (to me anyway), so yeah, I'm just having trouble justifying the much larger price tag.

Thanks for the reply!

5. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    If you have multiple tabs open in the Asus, you will struggle to eke out performance out of the 'ever-so-slightly better than atom' chip. Personal experience here as I tried to set a computer belonging to a friend of mine (who bought the laptop without consulting me by the way). Loading the chrome browser is nasty. Then trying to stream HQ videos caused it to slow down massively. I checked for background processes, the latest updates and the whole shebang. Not my cup of tea. But others might have felt it sufficient. Chrome does draw on a lot more resources on Windows too.

You could go for the 2955U version. That is much less expensive. You can increase the RAM at a later date if you find the default insufficient (especially if you are a TAB monster).

6. Angelic

Reputations:
    I'm confused, I was under the impression it didn't use Windows in any way. I mean, if it's just Chrome, this processor in the Asus should be fine. Actually, it seems like most of the others run a slower 1.4Ghz version, and this Asus is using a better 2.16Ghz processor. Should be a decent enough bump.

Still looking for other opinions guys! I need one within a week for travel. :)

Oh, and thanks idiot101, I appreciate the advice, but that Acer is just too expensive for me...I mean $379 seems like too much for a Chromebook. :/

Edit: Oooo that 11.6" version looks much more in-line with what I want. 11.6" seems like the best idea. Tough choice now!

7. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    I am comparing a Windows laptop that came with the Processor in the Asus you are looking at. The performance was horrid. It might do a bit better with chrome OS. But it will still be a major frustration for you if you push it the slightest. 2.16GHz frequency means nothing here. That chip is based of off the Baytrail architecture used in the low power chips. They draw very little power and perform appropriately.

The 2955U is based on Haswell and is worlds faster than the N2830. Much stronger single threaded performance that is most required for many of the tasks online.

8. Angelic

Reputations:
    Oh I just noticed in your link I can drop the ssd to 16gb and it's down to $199! If the processor is so much better in that one, might as well go for it I guess.

The only thing that stops me is the battery life seems low. It's only rated 8.5 on the website, and Im sure its much less doing video. The Asus is rated at 11 hours. Hmm. 7-8 hours should be fine. I'm being silly.

Reading reviews, it does seem like you're right; the processor is really really fast for this kind of device.

I'll probably buy the Acer tomorrow unless someone else gives me a better option. :)

9. idiot101

idiot101 Down and Broken

Reputations:
    Reviewers have got 6+ hours of run time with just Netflix or Hulu running continuously at maximum brightness. But again, this is when the battery is new and all. I wonder how well it is going to hold up after a few months. Some updates have been positive.

The Dell Chromebook 11
    Significantly longer battery life rated at 10 hours. Better keyboard and build quality too. Please check the reviews and user feedback. Is it worth the extra $80, personally I don't think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.