]]>

Need a Windows 7 64 gaming laptop.

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by lqm, Feb 12, 2018.

1. lqm

lqm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Looking for a fairly modern laptop that will run WIndows 7 64. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Looking at an Alienware 17 R3 since it has the 6700HQ CPU which I believe is completely compatible with Windows 7 64. It comes with Windows 10 pre-installed, but I plan to fresh install 7. I realize it has no optical drive, but if I were to set the BIOS to legacy could I boot from a USB optical drive?

Also, I noticed the Alienware 17 R4 has certain models with the 6700HQ CPU. Would that work with 7?

Budget is $1700 max. (I might go a little higher in exceptional circumstances)

Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Don't see any R3 Windows 7 drivers on the support page here.

Donald@HIDevolution and Phoenix like this.
  3. lqm

lqm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    From what I have been reading people with that model just download each driver from the different manufacturer's websites. From what I have read it all works fine on the R3.

Doesn't have to be Alienware. Just looking for a fairly modern gaming laptop that can still run Windows 7 64.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    check for something like a clevo p775tm1 with an Intel Z370 chipset. you can use Asus Z370 drivers for having Win7 like this guy
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...lounge-phoenix-4.809589/page-29#post-10640650
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vI_bvNQlopMvq5RJDoQgfyOV9_tTMsrc/view
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-E-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:20 PM
    Mr. Fox and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I've run Windows 7 on my MSI 16L13, aka the Eurocom Tornado F5. With a GTX 1070, you can get it right around your target budget.

6. lqm

lqm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can I ask how you did that? I was under the impression Windows 7 would not work with a CPU later than Skylake.

Edit: I see. It has the 6700 as an option. Ok got it.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Who said that? you can install Windows 7 on any CPU! The only thing you wanna do is disable Windows Updates and only get the updates via the Simplix Pack since one of the updates will lock your system and tell you you have to upgrade to Windows 10 to use your computer.

How to install Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake CPU

I recommend you this laptop:

Custom Built EVOC High Performance Systems 16L-G-1080 15.6" Custom Built Gaming Laptop w/ nVIDIA GTX 1080

If you email donald@hidevolution.com , you may be able to get a small discount since you're an NBR Forum member

lqm and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have a Windows 7 ISO, and I used the utility available here to create a new image that has the necessary drivers to allow for installation on current processors.

Unfortunately, that system is way outside the OP's budget, which is why I linked to Eurocom because he can get it with a GTX 1070, which is much closer to the requested price point.

Phoenix and Donald@HIDevolution like this.
  9. lqm

lqm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey, thanks guys. That makes my purchasing process much easier and less stressful. Haven't been in the gaming laptop market since 2014 and a lot has changed so I have run into a lot of misinformation.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix Colonel

Reputations:
    Well the issue with installing Windows 7 is not the newer CPUs, it's the fact that there is a lack of drivers for the other components for the laptop so if you can figure those out you can install Windows 7 on any machine.