Need a Secondary Laptop For University

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ShatteredAwe, Apr 27, 2017.

1. ShatteredAwe

ShatteredAwe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?

Up to 1000$ CDN

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

Canada. Toronto, Ontario to be specific.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like: It's been 4 years since I last bought a laptop, so I really don't know what's popping. BUuut....

b. Dislike: ASUS. The funny thing is, I have an Asus motherboard for my desktop and it's working very well, but the last time i had an ASUS laptop it barely lasted a year, and no matter how many times I returned it to their service center they wouldn't fix it.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Probably not, for longevity's sake.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Web browsing, productivity, work processing. Maybe some LIGHT gaming (indie titles with simple graphics, like undertale) but nothing major.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

Both, but mostly traveling around from classroom to classroom.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Barely. If I do, it'll be indies like Kingdom, Undertale, Transistor, etc.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

At least 5-6.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

I'd prefer being able to see it.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Probably Windows.

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

I'd prefer 1920x1080, but if it can't make the budget then it can't make the budget.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Matte. I want to be able to use this outside as well.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

Not really.

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Within the next 2-3 months.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

At least until I'm finished with school, so 3-5 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

I think I'd admire an SSD drive, but I'd also like to see if I can get a laptop with an open bay for another 2.5 inch drive. I need at least 500GB of storage i think.

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

Maybe, just in case.

Thanks if you can help! Also, I'm not sure what's the difference between consumer grade and business laptops, but most importantly I'm looking for longevity.

2. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hi,

I tried to find something with a minimum dedicated video card so you wouldn't have any problems with your indie titles, but I can't really fit that in your budget. Canada is expensive.
    The cheapest is the Acer Aspre F15.
    Then it's the Flex 4 - note this is without a dedicated video card, you need to select the M430 version which is about $1300 CND
    And finally the Samsung 5

I would go with the Acer, but I wouldn't expect it to last more than 2-3 years. In all honestly laptops today are not built too last very long, and those that do are much more expensive.

I based my results on the search I did with my website: search results.
    We can further play around with the results if you hit the Refine results button.

3. ShatteredAwe

ShatteredAwe Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Do laptops really last for barely that long? Ouch. What's the point of me buying something like that then, lol?

Are tablets in any better positions? I don't really need a dedicated graphics card, and tbh I'm looking most for longevity and quality.

I liked the laptops you linked to me, but I keep hearing bad things about Acer and their build quality. Do any of these look better?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...rce-940mx-15-6-windows-10-home/10647945.aspx?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...gb-ram-windows-10-f5-573g-73zs/10550144.aspx?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...-500gb-win-7-10-pro-20ev002fus/10426095.aspx? (pretty barebones and not the resolution I want though...)

Are any of thee good?

4. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, Acer are pretty poor.
    There are machines made to last, Clevos for instance tend to last longer and so do MSI.
    From mainstream brands, Dell Precision / Latitude, HP Zbook or Lenovo Thinkpads are tend to last longer. Macs also last a while if you don't use the dGPU. Asus middle-upper tier also last well.