Need a rugged truck...

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by CanadianDude, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm looking to get an SUV of some type to compliment my Mustang. Compliment as in a daily driver/beater for when I don't need/want to drive my 5 litre Mustang.

I'm mainly looking for reliability and ruggedness. I have, at MOST $14000 to spend, so I'm looking at used.

Some that I've been looking at are:
    Ford Explorer, Toyota 4 runner, Nissan Xterra

ANy others you can think of let me know.

2. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    The 4-Runner is a good choice, so is the Xterra, but the Explorer.... no, please. The Nissan is going to have the better engine with the 4.0L VQ40DE, which is a larger version of what's in the Maxima/Z/Quest (3.5L). They're smooth and reliable, and have a fair amount of torque. The 4-Runner has a 4.0L or 4.7L V-6 or V-8. The 2UZ-FE V8 is the one I'd look for, as that was basically the Lexus engine. Also, if you get one with the 2UZ-FE, chances are it was assembled by my uncle at Toyota Motor Manufacturing Plant in Huntsville, Alabama.

3. Muscle Master

Muscle Master Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You will want a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee!!!!!

Hands down.. try between 07-09 years.. I'm sure you will get a great price

4. crazycanuk

crazycanuk Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    or a 95-99 model and have fun changing the drivetrain however you want.

5. jooooeee

jooooeee Stealth in disguise

Reputations:
  6. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    If you want a really rugged SUV, get an Excursion. Get it with a diesel, and it will make it very reliable too.

I'm not going to lie to you though, I wouldn't classify anything that has a budget of $14,000 as a beater....

If you really want a beater, get a mid-80's K5 blazer. You can pick one up for less than $1000 easily, and it will leave you with a few grand to spend modding it a bit.

7. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Don't waste your time on a flowerjoke(ford diesel), you'll have to remove the cab once you blow your head gasket, or pull the motor. And if you ever do ANY performance mods to it(even a chip) you will blow the head gasket.

8. CanadianDude

CanadianDude Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well I said at most $14K...if I find something cheaper than by all means I'd go with that.

I'm actually looking at a couple of 1998 - 1999 4 Runners. I drove these and is it just me or do the late 90's Toyotas all seem to have higher build quality than the new ones? I also drove a few 1995-1996 Camrys and those things do not rattle or squeak at all and they feel solid.

I did consider Jeep. I looked at a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee V6. LOVED that thing for the day I had it. Drove smoothly, looks cool, but the guy was asking too much for it.

Tomorrow I am going to check out some used Ford Explorers.

To be honest, the Subaru impreza 5-door caught my eye as well (the newest iteration). Although its over my budget, I think that would be a sweet little wagon to have.

9. Colton

Colton Also Proudly American

Reputations:
    A 4-Runner would be your best bet. They are very reliable and are a blast to drive. Stay away from Ford Explorers, they are not worth the trouble.

10. Thaenatos

Thaenatos Zero Cool

Reputations:
    Jeep. Will get you tons of use and can be beaten on a regular basis with no worries. Plus they can be had for very cheap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.