Need a reliable laptop for accounting work and playing low requirement games

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by sinfolmatt, Apr 28, 2021.

1. sinfolmatt

sinfolmatt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    EDIT: Just ordered a Dell XPS 17. Thanks to anyone that took the time to read and reply.

Hi all, I posted most of this about 9 months ago and was leaning towards a Lenovo Legion 5 with an AMD processor but I tried to hold out with my current dying laptop until I saw a good deal. Now my laptop is really dying so waiting for a deal is not an option but my budget has gone up and the market may have changed so I wanted to do this again before I spend money on a laptop and have it die in 3 years.

General Questions

1) What is your budget? I am willing to spend up to around $2,500 but feel like for what specs I need, I could probably spend a lot less. The reason I would be willing to pay more is if I can get a much more reliable build quality for spending more, it would be worth it (I was considering a razer because they look like they have a nicer build quality, but reading about the new ones I have some concerns about them running hot)

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    14" or 15", I care a lot about good air flow and maintaining lower temps. If a 17" will do this better I would consider it.

3) Which country will you buying this notebook? United States of America

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: I have been happy with some Lenovo, Asus, and Dell, but also been disappointed by others.
    b. Dislike: Sager/clevo, I heard good things about them so 3.25 years ago I bought the
    Clevo P950HP6/Sager NP8950
    From HIDEvolution. Just after I passed the 1 month no pixel problem warranty I had a dead or black pixel in the center of the screen, just after the 2 year warranty point some of the keys on the keyboard stopped working, I ordered a replacement keyboard from them which had a 60 day warranty and just after that warranty ended every key but caps lock stopped working. It seems that the heat from the laptop can affect the keys, I think. Now the monitor is flashing or turning off also.

I didn't really get bothered by the pixel problem, but I need a working keyboard and monitor for traveling and working. More important than anything else for me is reliability.

5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No, I want new, reliable, and prefer a good warranty service.

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Primary purpose is accounting work, but I occasionally will play games on it, I also occasionally record and edit recordings of my gameplay. Most the games I play are older (i.e. League of legends and Ultima Online) but i like to have the ability to run newer games at least on average or lower settings.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both, but I do not mind a larger laptop. Most of my favorite prior laptops were 17". If it is larger I may need a good bag to fit it.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Most the games I play are older (i.e. League of legends and Ultima Online) but i like to have the ability to run newer games at least on average or lower settings.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Not a lot, I will almost always be able to plug in, but I don't want it to die in 30 minutes of working in excel. Is 2 hours reasonable?

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Online is OK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Windows

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p is fine

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Not a major preference. But I guess I would like to be able to see it outside when it is bright if possible.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? 500gb minimum prefer to have option for second hard drive.

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? Hopefully this week. Depends a bit on my current laptop holding out, while I find something I like.

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? As long as possible. Minimum 3 years but I would hope for work it will last 5 or more. My work is not very tough on any components nor are the games I play.

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? My plan is to fix and keep my current laptop as a backup, so I can be ok in the case of a failure. But I would really like to avoid failures and keep down time to a minimum.

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Shipping is OK. Especially with our current environment, I am not looking to have strangers in my home.

I hope this information helps, thank you for taking the time to read my post and thank you in advance to anyone who replies (I will probably thank you again, but in case life distracts me and I dont.)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  2. sinfolmatt

sinfolmatt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I am getting the feeling that if I am willing to spend the money for the build quality, XPS 15 or 17 might be the one for me.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Check the Dell Outlet, which is most likely a return sold with a nice discount, for better pricing. It's basically the same as buying new.

4. sinfolmatt

sinfolmatt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Currebt laptop went to crap today. Found top of the line xps 17 from microcenter for about $200 less than anywhere else, so I ordered it. Thanks for anyone who did take the time to read and reply.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Did you buy the refurbished XPS? I ask cause, if so, the warranty is only 90 days. You could get something similar in the Dell Outlet for the same price, but a year of warranty.

6. sinfolmatt

sinfolmatt Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No. I bought new. I you appreciate mentioning the outlet. The prices there were very fair, even for items marked as new, but my wife insisted I spend more to get the current model because she said it went through a body refresh recent. Hurray for techy wives