Need a new laptop

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Joseph9012, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph9012

Joseph9012 Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget? Around 2k happy to go a little over if it’s a very good laptop but ideally under 2k

2) What size notebook would you sceeen would you like?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen (14in wouldn’t be to bad but most just don’t have the specs needed.)
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? UK

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    Don’t mind
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    CAD (solidworks), light rendering, photoshop.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Both

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) not much but if I did would be very light gaming.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? 6 hours of medium/high use but more is always nice

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Would want to see it in store but that could prove hard.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc. Need windows to run solidworks and don’t want use boot camp or anything.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    1080p but has to be a decent panel preferably not TN, higher or touch would be nice but would definitely prefer more battery so 1080p is better.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) don’t mind

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Most important, looking for similar design and build quality of a MacBook Pro. Don’t like the gamer looking laptops and happy to lose a bit of performance for looks
    Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    500gb SSD

Specs
    16gb ram
    i7 preferbaly 8th gen
    1050+ or Quattro equivalent (just something to run solidworks ect.)

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Now
    17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    4 years minimum
    18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Dont mind too much but preferably a week
    19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? Would be happy to pay up to £100 for on site nothing more but don’t want to have to ship it to America or anywhere. I do need warrenty to cover accidental damage.

I am currently looking at the dell XPS 15 9570 and dell Precision 5530 as I like the design, build quality and warranty. The dell 5530 seems better suited for CAD and stuff with the Quattro card and better WiFi but don’t understand why the exact same spec with a £20 better WiFi card and p2000 instead of 1050ti is around £1,000 more? Also if I was to undervolt and re paste the CPU/GPU would that void warranty?
    I have also heard rumours that because the 5530 is a business lineup everything is better like warranty and build quality ect.

2. BrightSmith

BrightSmith Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The p2000 Quadro is a 'certified' card for which you pay a premium. A 1050(ti) with a powerful cpu will work fine unless you use extremely complex assemblies and parts. You could always try out the XPS and return it if it doesn't work out for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.