Need a new desktop replacement

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by FaTT, Nov 24, 2017.

?

Where do you normally purchase your parts?

1. Amazon

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Newegg

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Frys

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. where ever I can find it cheap and get it fast

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget?
    2000-2500
    2) What size notebook would you prefer? desktop replacement
    a. Netbook; 10" screen or less
    b. Ultraportable; 11" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA
    4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    anything as long as it lives up to performance
    b. Dislike: asus
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    yes
    6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming
    7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    both
    8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    yes, everything 1080p ultra everything possible 4k later but I think 4k is overrated and price is hyperinflated
    9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    dosnt really matter will be plugged in 99% of the time
    10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    I would prefer to see it ofc but if I cant as long as its from a reputable seller IDK

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Win 10
    Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.) 1080P

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)
    IDC
    Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    no never performance above the rest
    15) When are you buying this laptop?
    as soon as I sell this aw17r3 with graphics amp and 1070 8gb ftw2
    16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    as long as possible
    Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    atleast 1tb yes ssd m.2 NVMe(multiple drives is okay just need atleast 1tb)
    18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    need one? no but def would prefer to get a BR burner

One note I thought I would put on here is 95%of the time this will be docked attached to external, prefer alienware for AGA or something with thunderbolt so I can attach a external gpu.
    The reason I am getting a laptop instead of the desktop is because in the oddball chance I take it with me somewhere I want the portability but the performance of a desktop gpu this is to replace the one in my signature

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Do you want something that has replaceable parts? MXM GPU or socketed CPU? If you do you are best going for a Clevo/Sager through someone like HIDEvolution or Eurocom.

If you don't mind BGA then MSI are pretty decent too - just be cautious about their customer service (buying through a reseller may be best for that reason).

FaTT likes this.
  3. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you for your prompt and curtious reply my friend I will def keep that in mind, my only problem with MSI is that I hear they have thermal issues worse then alienware and AW thermals are horrible

Arrrrbol likes this.
  4. Arrrrbol

Arrrrbol Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That depends on which you get. Generally the thicker ones have decent cooling, not sure about their slim models though.

Some Clevo's can have cooling issues too since it takes a lot to keep an overclocked 7700k cool.

HIDEvolution will sell you either a Clevo or MSI where you can specify having the cooling mods done to it (repaste should be all that is needed for most MSI's, but they will delid and undervolt the 7700k).

Can't imagine either of those are any worse than current Alienware cooling solutions though.

Hopefully some MSI owners pop into here to provide their cooling experiences.

FaTT likes this.
  5. FaTT

FaTT Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea the whole reason I am looking into this is because my current rig bottlenecks a asus gtx 1080 turbo, I found out from another alienware user on another forum that with the 6700HQ and the aga it will bottleneck anything over 1980 cuda cores, so I had to return the ti I purchased and ordered the 1070 today, I just know me I'm not going to be happy until I have a 1080 ti in my external gpu :)

Arrrrbol likes this.
  6. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    Msi 16L13

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.