Need a new, affordable smartphone

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by Chowda289, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm in the USA. So, they are rolling back from Android 9 Pie to Android 8.1 Oreo? I don't understand...why?

Have you heard of the Schok Freedom Turbo or the Schok Freedom Turbo XL? (I prefer the XL.) It doesn't look like they are well known; I haven't found many either. They seem to be fairly comparable to a Moto e5, except they have a lower ppi and mediatek processors. Each does have a double GPU. Here's a link if you want to check them out. They are on Target too.

I'm supposed to see my family sometime around December 20th, so I guess I'll wait and see what my family member has. (I'll keep hunting, though. Gotta find those deals!!) Then, I'll see if they are locked or crap or whatever. If they are all junk, I'll have to figure out what to do with them because the phones will mine. It's kind of frustrating that I can't get her to tell me the model names or number; that'd solve a lot. All I know is that she maybe has a Samsung S5 and a LG phone that still turns on. *smacks head*

2. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    What network will you be using?

3. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  4. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    NO, I mean what NETWORK are you going to be using, AT&T, verison etc...

5. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    TracFone. It's under my first post.

6. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Ahh.. sorry about that. Missed it. Why not just buy a new android trac fone. They are reasonably priced at target. I live in Canada, but have used tracfones in the past while at my house in florida.

7. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    No worries. They have a good deal for a TracFone Moto E5 on Amazon...but I read it's more of a hybrid between the E5 and E5 Play. I guess it's specially made for TracFone? That's awesome, but it looks like it's CDMA. o_O Doesn't TracFone use both GSM and CDMA? I can't find out if it'd be compatible with TracFone. I guess I shouldn't worry too much about it. At this point, I'm going to wait and see what my relative has.

8. Primes

Primes Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes they do support both gsm and cdma. When you buy the Tracfone byod sim kit (usually $1 at the dollar stores or supermarket) they give you both gsm and cdma sims in both nano and micro size. Depending on if the phone supports gsm/cdma, you choose which sim to use. This also lets you choose which network you want (as long as the phone supports it).
    I have previously bought 2 used iphone 5's on "social media" for $80 each and because Verizon has better coverage here, I choose to use the CDMA sim. Also there used to be an issue with tracfone gsm, where you could not receive any MMS (specifically picture texts), so you may want to look into that. Also check walmart phone refurbs for deals (example).
    For what its worth, I choose iPhone because when on wifi, you can text other iPhones via imessage and it doesn't use any credits. You can also imessage to different countries without charge too.

9. Chowda289

Chowda289 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Primes Thanks for clearing that up. :) @kojack I got a bag of used smartphones from my relative. Here is what I have:

AT&T Samsung Galaxy S - in the process of unlocking
    US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S3 - needs unlocked
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Core Prime - needs new battery and unlocked
    T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy On5 - unlocked
    T-Mobile LG Optimus F6 - needs unlocked
    Sprint LG Optimus G - won't work with Tracfone according to their website; needs unlocked

10. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

Reputations:
    @Chowda289 they're all terrible but On5 looks most promising.