Need a little help for laptop purchase

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by newbie2006, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbie2006

newbie2006 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am strongly considering purchasing the Toughbook 51 since it seems to fit 90 percent of my needs. I require a laptop that weighs less than 8 lbs, must have 9 pin serial port, 25 pin lpt parallel port. I need one that is more sturdy than a dell or hp. Very reliable. This laptop seems to fit those needs. I am wondering if this machine will play one video game that is world of warcraft its requirements are not that demanding, but I am unsure if it will play at all on this unit. And I am also wondering how the screen quality is. I don't really like those new super brite screens. I like a standard screen but like for it to be easily viewed by atleast 2 or 3 people. If there is a better alternative that will meet these needs I would love to hear about them. And does anybody know for sure wether the game mentioned above will play on this unit at all? Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can offer.

2. newbie2006

newbie2006 Newbie

Reputations:
    I forgot to mention that I am considering the dell latitude d610 as an alternative. But still leaning towards the toughbook.

3. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Perhaps you can get a usb to serial converter. ThinkPad T series have parallel ports as well and will offer excellent build quality.

4. newbie2006

newbie2006 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have checked into that and from what I found out is that they now just offer a usb to serial and parallel adapter. Which these will not work for me. I have tried these type of adapters on many different laptops and they will not work for my needs. That's why Im narrowed down to the d610 and the tb51. If these where your options and the price difference was minimum which would you guys suggest.

5. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lattitudes offers build quality. Plus support is US based which cuts down on the language problems. It also has a better video card. Other thing to consider is that if you need mobility, the Dell is a couple pounds lighter than the Panasonic. Panasonics are well built machines. They are probably the one brand that can keep up with ThinkPads in terms of build quality. Their screens are average. If you want a matte screen with wide viewing angles, you should consider a IPS screen like on the ThinkPad FlexView or Asus V6va, but then you'll lose the serial port. I don't think you are going to get everything you want so I would decide what is most important and go from there. Good Luck.

6. newbie2006

newbie2006 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well after reading reading reading and even more reading, and alot of second guessing lol I decided the latitude d610 would be the smartest choice for my needs. I upgraded the battery the wifi card and the video to the x300. Also got the salesman to take the price down even more than he did in the first place so it will be here prob by the middle of the week then I can put it to the test. After looking at the specs and adding the dedicated graphics card I think it should meet all my needs and then some, but I won't know til it gets here. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.