Need a larger PSU? No ones with the correct connector around? Let's do it properly.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Meaker@Sager, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidneyam

sidneyam Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I bought the same cable meaker did and have since received the cable. However the wires at the end are blue and brown so i dont know which is positive and negative......

2. derekdauzat

derekdauzat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    what kind of solder do you can you email me its for my 150hm with 240w psu and i will use the wire with the 5.5 x 2.5 from the 180w brick.. i am just unsure on the type of solder do i need high melting point? my email derekdauzat@gmail.com

3. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hey man, standard solder should do just fine. You just want to make sure the contact is good.

Use a multimeter to check the polarity :) The outside of the power jack should be ground.

4. sidneyam

Reputations:
    So I pretty much got the slimline to solder the new lead to, the same one you got from ebay, however I can't seem to get a voltage from the connector. any ideas?

5. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    Can you post pictures of the terminals where you soldered the cable to the PCB please. Both sides.

Also a picture of the information on the casing (model etc).

6. sidneyam

Reputations:
    So pretty much here are the pics. Weird thing is, I tested the terminals coming from the adapter with a multimeter while it was plugged in and I'm getting a low reading that degrades to 0. However I know the 3 prong port is sending power becasue it reads 120V of AC. But I'm not getting a DC voltage from the connector or terminals. What can be the causes? Is it possible to use solder that doesnt conduct? I just used whetevr solder that came with my iron. Also sorry about the blurred pictures, I only have a phone camera.

WP_000276.jpg WP_000277.jpg WP_000280.jpg WP_000281.jpg

7. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    That is a different design to what I have seen so far but did you measure the original plug voltage?

If you found solder that did not conduct then how would the leads have an electrical connection to the PCB?

8. sidneyam

Reputations:
    I bought it new on ebay but didnt actually test the connector because i assumed it worked. Though i don't even see how it's possible to stop the dam thing from working between it's disassembly and me putting in a new connector

9. Meaker@Sager

Reputations:
    By shorting out the data pin to live. Some dell owners had a problem with the centre pin shorting to live and killing the brick.

I've got a 330w brick on the way to mod so look out for that :)

10. sidneyam

Reputations:
    Guess I need a new PSU then, since theres no life in this one. Least I still have my lead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.