Need a laptop for editing (Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects) and gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Aes85, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you're doing photo editing, you really want something close to 100% sRGB. My previous laptop (a Dell Precision M6500) has a screen that DisplayCAL measured at 72%, and the colors always looked washed out, and I overcompensated. My current laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad P70) has a close to 100% sRGB screen, and the difference is enormous. Make certain to check the spec on that. Usually it's the higher resolution screens that are 100% sRGB, but there may be some 1080p ones as well. I don't know about the tradeoff on refresh rate vs. color gamut. FWIW, I find image editing easier on a 4K screen; you can see more of the image at 1:1, and it also helps smooth out pixel noise so noise reduction gets done more reasonably. But that has tradeoffs for gaming, of course.

And yes, make sure you get an *actual* IPS screen.

Blacky likes this.
  2. Aes85

Aes85 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The Ge73 7rf offer on ebay is gone, unfortunately. He sold it for 930€. I don't regret it cause in the end I thought better have 2 cores more for longevity and productivity.

So I guess I have to wait for the new GE75 with Rtx 2060 atleast (which is like the 1070 in terms of framerates right?) because the Rtx 2070 would be a waste for a full hd resolution gaming, even at 144hz, no? What do u think?

I've noticed that the old versions of MSI gaming notebooks do not rly drop in prices, but I hope the GE75 with 1070 would drop.

The only question I have is about thermal throttling, fan noise and temps, but I guess I have to wait for reviews and decide.

3. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes, the RTX 2060 performs roughly like the GTX 1070.
    Traditionally, the GE series from MSI never had any cooling issues and I don't see why that will change in the future. I suspect the GE75 will be a good laptop for you.

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  5. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    A lot of business class workstations have some really good displays. But for gaming I think most of the options are going to be limited to the 17" 4K displays. I know the HP Zbook Studio G5 has a really good 15" 4k panel and some other business laptops probably also do, but I'm not sure if it's been used by any gaming laptops.

A P70 would be able to pull off both, but I'm not sure how well it'll match his budget and its thermals could be a concern in games that use a lot of cpu and gpu combined.

Blacky and lazy868 like this.
  7. Aes85

Reputations:
    I was just wondering if I should wait for the 9th Gen intel cpus for laptops then. I heard they are coming in the Q2 of this year. Do you think Msi is going to release laptops with i7 9*** and Rtx 2*** before summer atleast?

8. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is very likely they will release such laptops. If it's Q2, it usually means late May to June for general availability.
    However, I don't expect the 9th Gen to bring any significant performance gains, maybe something like 10-20%. The 8th Gen is already pushing laptop designs to their limits or exceeding them.

9. Akuch

Akuch Newbie

Reputations:

If you're cutting down to that price point and still want to accommodate your needs, there are 2 options I've spotted:

- The HP Omen 15 - www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-dc0003na-i7-8750H-Graphics-Dedicated/dp/B07FHDBXRQ
    - The Asus FX504 - www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-FX504GD-15-6-inch-Wide-Angle-Gaming/dp/B07C7DYDSH

(Sorry I put UK links hopefully the conversion isn't significant)

If you want to tailor more options that are based on your needs, checkout www.choosist.com/uk/laptops

10. Aes85

Reputations:
    So, basically you are telling me that the gap between the 7th gen and the 8th is much more significant compared to the one between the 8th and the 9th gen of Cpus?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.