Need a laptop for a new job

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by sarevok9, May 5, 2021.

1. sarevok9

sarevok9 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    $2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook?
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: Microsoft, Asus
    b. Dislike: Lenovo, Dell
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Email, testing / compiling code, multivariant testing.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    Both.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?)
    Minimally, some stuff while traveling should be possible, but I'm thinking games like forager. I have an rtx3090 on my desktop already, so this will not be a gaming machine, nor does it need to be.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    As many as possible.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Not seeing IRL is okay

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Windows, though I will be running virtualbox with nix containers or a WSL 2 instance.

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.)
    4k, 2k, etc.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.)
    Doesn't matter

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?
    Highly

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need?
    512gb - 1tb nvme

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop?
    Within a week

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop?
    4+ years (until I can coax job to do a refresh)

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail?
    Irrelevant

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage?
    No.

In addition specs that are important to me: CPU, Ram, battery life. The gpu (if present) is not really a selling point to me.

2. atquantrandash93

atquantrandash93 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How did you even score a 3090??? And tame the heat??? Respect!

For your question, the Asus Strix G15, Strix G17, fit your budget, with 5900HX, 3070, base 16GB RAM, 1TB NVMe, and 99Whr battery for $1799 at Bestbuy, but out of stock. A few hundred dollars higher, the Strix SCAR G15, and Strix SCAR G17 may come in variants with the same specs but with QHD screens.
    The downside of these models is that you can only maximize their GPU potential by using a second monitor, as they have Optimus. GizmoSliptech reported a frame rate drop of 10%, I believe.

Other options include the MSI GE66 Raider, and MSI GE76 Raider. These have MUX switches allowing you to push the GPU, Intel, 3070, 16GB RAM, and 1TB NVMe. With these specs, they are about $500 more than the Strix.

I suggest 17" variant because the slim bezel design allows the laptop to take up space as much as a 15" one.

I hope this helps. I think right now, we can only wait for stocks.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

3. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    nice advice but hes not looking for a gaming laptop, battery life is of upmost importance according to the response....in that case a ux series asus or zenbook with the 1650

heres what Id get with your requirements

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...-ssd-16gb-ram-gtx1650-max-q-open-box/14931607

KING19 and Maleko48 like this.
  4. RhyStar

RhyStar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am not sure you need to spend so much money.

I just bought an HP Envy x360 2 in 1 for 1k at Best Buy for my daughter... it is a 1080p but you get better battery life than a 2k or 4K screen... and for your intended use, you should only need 1080p.

I7 11th gen with 512 and octane.

Why are you buying a laptop for a job, unless you are consulting? Usually the company buys.

R

5. KING19

KING19 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thats a big budget for your needs.

But since you're not going to be gaming then i suggest going with a business laptop like the HP Elitebook, Lenovo Thinkpad, Dell Precision and etc. They're built much better than customer based laptops and you'll have better warranty and support also the battery life will be great. You can also go with a Macbook if you want.

JRE84 likes this.