Need a high-end system with some specific requirements

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Mr.Claw, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    I feel like if there were thermal issues they wouldn't continue making them no? Like they started with the P50, then the 51 and now the latest and greatest (and it is the greatest too overall with all brands too right?) is the P52. Funny that you don't like the NUM pad.... If the X1 Extreme had the num pad I'd buy that one and sacrifice the 4G LTE!!!! I prefer the numpad personally which is a good tick for the P52 for me :)

2. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    MSI WE63 is the only 15.6" model with a Xeon / ECC RAM and no thunderbolt!!! :(

3. Mr.Claw

Mr.Claw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I almost have it now with the Alienware. If only they had made the new Alienware 15m with an SD card slot and physical mouse buttons, and minus the numpad. Sigh.. I'd be all over it now.

I can see the advantages of the numpad of course, but I have to often type out long emails and such, and I use the laptop on my lap. This puts an unnecessary strain on the shoulders when the keyboard is not directly aligned to the body.

Aroc likes this.
  4. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    I would choose either the X1 Extreme or the Alienware 15 R4. The Alienware is obviously the better gaming choice, but compromises with the weight and SD card slot. Alternatively you could try to find a nice used Alienware 13 R3 with the OLED panel which is easily as nice as the 4k if not better. Keep in mind that whatever you get you will want to either repaste yourself, or pay a reseller to do it for you.

5. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    You could always go with a CF-54 Toughbook if you want something even more reliable than a Lenovo ;) lol. No num pad there either, but no Xeon option either. Worldwide turn key warranty included for 3 years too and you'd have me backing you up haha.

About 4 grand for the loaded model with 32GB RAM, Touchscreen, dedicated GPU, etc.

Thanks!

Mr.Claw likes this.
  6. Mr.Claw

Mr.Claw Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Guess you missed the part about portability. :D

By the way, I made a sheet:

[​IMG]

bobbie424242 likes this.
  7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Disagree with the point about the 7530's speakers. Despite being underneath, both are powerful, reverberative 2 W speakers.

Even at 30% volume, a properly-tuned track in Spotify sounds beautifully clear and sufficiently loud.

8. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    The toughbook CF-54 is actually smaller than the P52!!! With 2 batteries it's the same weight too (although it is .2" thicker). It only has a 14" screen though so for what you get in the P52 you're getting more screen. I was kidding as a whole, though but there is no laptop more reliable than a Toughbook is all I was saying. :)

I still haven't bought the P52 yet. I wasn't happy with the eGPU situation so I did more research and found the $230 HP eGPU and I think that'll be the winner for the P52! :)

9. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    You might also note on your chart (I like it BTW! Helps me too) that the GPU on the Xeon P52 is the P2000. The only way to get the P3200 is to get the P52S with the lower end i7 CPU.

For me, the sacrifice of a lower power graphics card is made up for buy a much more powerful Xeon processor. This is a specially important because I am going with an eGPU box anyways as a "dock"