NEC LaVie Z LZ750/NSB (antiglare IGZO 1440p 13.3", 795g, i7-4500U/4GB/256, ac, 1,5mm)

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by matthias2468, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oled

oled Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  2. matthias2468

matthias2468 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    (for some reason my post was lost.)
    -> hi oled!
    -> according to notebookcheck, the portege has a loud rattly keyboard and the fan kicks in just as early as does the NEC's. That's why I didn't get it. Other than that you have a tie (lightweight, superior 2560-IGZO screen, smaller and imho nicer chassis, vs. more RAM and WWAN, more runtime). I can live with 4GB RAM and fast charging instead of long battery life. I don't need an integrated WWAN module. I don't know if the SC card sticks out in the toshiba. it doesn't with the nec. That's important to me because I constantly backup to a 128 GB SD for security reasons (hd failure/theft (put sd card in purse/pocket when I am not at the laptop).

3. matthias2468

Reputations:
    note: buyers may consider taking a 128 gb configuration and then replace with an 840 evo. seems to economical and will bring a boost in many situations, I suppose. I am ordering one and will report if there is anything to take care of. i think this is what you may want to get: Samsung SSD 840 EVO mSATA Review - HotHardware (500 gb or 250 models).

4. 0utf0xZer0

0utf0xZer0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How difficult is it to get inside to replace the SSD?

I have two other questions as well:
    1) Is it hard to adjust to the keyboard's shallow key travel? I recall hearing the keyboard had key travel of 1.2mm, which sounds short even for an ultrabook.
    2) Is the chassis sturdy despite the light weight? In particular, how well protected is the LCD panel compared to the competition?

The combination of 795g and 1440P sounds pretty nice.

5. matthias2468

Reputations:
    - replacement of the ssd is extremely easy, just with a standard screw driver. replacement can be done by a kid.
    - key travel is a matter of taste. I personally very much prefer shallow key travel provided there is good even feedback and the pressure is "just right". Adjusting is a matter of one-two hours and afterwards you may not want to get back to a different keyboard because typing on the NEC is less exhausting and quicker, and very precise. The keyboard really is the best imho. However it is a matter of taste. You may hate the keyboard if you want loud acustic keyboard noise or if you are more of the type of person who needs a "rough, sturdy" experience. The NEC is great for fast effortless typing in a library. It's similar to the Sony Vaio's keyboard in terms of feedback, but more silent than the sony, tough the sony is quite silent already.I never understood the problem with key travel. The "key to a good keyboard" is not a large key travel, but the precise adjustment of the mechanism so it will be "just right". Short travel/long travel is not a matter of good/bad, but of taste and adjustment.
    - The chassis is very sturdy. be careful, due to the weight it might fall down quickly. the front of the nec has an angle that might be susceptible to damage if it falls right onto that edge. Whilst the chassis is very sturdy, the finish might (I don't know) be susceptible to scratches.You may need protection/keep the plastic bag/then buya decent protector neoprene, perhaps.Or put in into a laptop pouch wihtin a bag.
    - The LCD is sufficiently protected, but I recall that the samsung X3E was even better, but I'm not sure. I do not have the impression that the panel is at risk in everyday travel and use. the biggest problem is, you should not put the laltop into a bag with the front faceing the buttom, and then no sushion. this will damage it in the lon run. jsut turn it around (with the hinge towards the bottom of your bag, or the -sides, or put a soft cloth there or use neoprene, or be careful.
    - keyboard and build qualitiy and screen are all very good and nothing to be concerned about. the only critisism I have are that for my taste the touchpad is not fast enough (it's not slower that the samsung, but I would like it faster), and that the fan kicks in as often as the samsung x3e/900x3g (no improvement over samsung here). If you do cpu intensive work, keep that in mind. It will be complentely silent only when you simply do typing stuff. otherwise, the fan will come in occasionally. there is a power saving shortcut combination that will toggle throttle cpu (power plan) at the press of Fn-F...

6. matthias2468

Reputations:
    i also recommend you buy the 128 ssd and replace it with a 840 evo (256 or 512). I have not yet done so, so don't blame me if there should be a problem, but there shouldn't.
    The proven way to order is via 121ware and tenso, which will allow configuration and tenso provides reliable and fast service and they helped fine with problems and questions. myself and another user did so and it worked fine.

7. mrolandb

mrolandb Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, I'm new to notebookreview.com forums, and as a fellow NEC LaVie Z LZ750 owner, I was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me out.

I've managed to lose access to the flash drive recovery section by taking my laptop apart, and disconnecting the bio battery. This unfortunately resulted in a loss of access to the drive data, including the recovery partition. Also unfortunately, before doing this, I didn't backup the hard drive, as I didn't realize that the hard drive was encrypted by default through the bios.

I was wondering if someone would be kind enough let me know either:

1. Who to contact at NEC to obtain a recovery disc/image; or
    2. If anyone could help me acquire the default drive image (including recovery partition). In exchange for any assistance, I can offer $60 by PayPal for your time and consideration.

Also on an unrelated note, I was wondering if people were still considering a group meet up this fall for fellow NEC Lavie Z owners.

Last, I agree with matthias about upgrading the flash drive. I'm in the process of replacing the stock drive with a Samsung 840 EVO 512 for addi
    Thanks,

-Michael

8. matthias2468

Reputations:
    Is there a reason why you don't want to try to install windows afresh from DVD, onto the EVO, and then install the drivers from the NEC homepage later? That's what I still plan to do, I haven't been using my NEC at all since it arrived for personal reasons not related to the notebook.

NEC don't do support for the Z internationally. They declined helping me after I wrote to them. Your best bet is claiming you are in Japan, and writing them in Japanse, I am afraid. But I might be wrong.

What do you think of the upcoming Zenbook UX305 Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS ZenBook UX305 - ASUS ?
    I don't think it will be in the stores this year despite their claims (just a feeling), but shurely in early 2015.
    It 50% heavier, and I think a bit wider, but other than that it's the first thing that seriously challenges the NEC. I will sure investigate after its release, if it would make a replacement. Only reason would be if the fan gets too annoying, or if I want 1600p @200% for some reason, or FHD.Unsure about SDD upgrade options on that one. But that's off-topic, I'm waiting for s.b. to start a thread on that one. At least I no longer fear I might have to consider the Broadwell Macbook Air even though I would have preferred a 12,5" form factor on the Asus.

9. mrolandb

mrolandb Newbie

Reputations:
    I think you're right. I should just try to install a fresh version of windows 8 (US) onto the EVO. I'm having difficulty translating the NEC Japan website to find out where on their site to download the drivers. Any chance you could provide a link to the driver download page on NEC?

Regarding the Zenbook, I think I would pass. At a weight of 1.2kg, I'd probably go with a slightly heavier Panasonic LX with 14" screen, and 20 hours of battery life. The thinness isn't as important to me as weight, noise, screen quality, key travel, battery life, and durability (in that order). The added cost is not an issue. I like that the fan doesn't kick on in the toughbooks for web browsing and office work, and I enjoy that I can drop the laptop off a desk without worry, especially with small children in the house.

10. matthias2468

Reputations:
    You should find smartupdate on the nec or 121ware.com website, I think. I have accumulated various official sources of software for theh NEC Z, but it's a bit chaotic in my bookmarks and in text files and I don't have time at the moment. I will do the fresh install in 1 month. I recomment to install 8.1 Update 1 in the end. I will install from a 8.1 DVD. Sorry that's all I can say, but if you have difficulties, please post and I will try to help.
    It would be great if you wrote in a notepad text the steps you did so we can track down errors and it would also help me... :) Be careful with UEFI settings... you may want to try japan goggles iphone app to read japanese OCR text, haven't tested it yet though. otherwise for text google translate was helpful.
    You may want to search for clean install threads in this forum. I don't understand why secure boot should be disabled, in the samsung 9 clean install thread. http://forum.notebookreview.com/sam...stall-windows-8-samsung-series-9-laptops.html
    read a bit into the thread to get an idea.
    also be careful if you have pro or non-pro dvd, vs. motherboard key. try to get some help on windows8 forums, or call microsoft and tell them that you want to install your dvd onto a notebook with preinstalled windows. they help for free in the activation hotline, at least here in germany.
    other than that, if you can wait 3-4 weeks we can do it together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.