NCASE M1 v5 Build

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by TBoneSan, Jul 16, 2017.

1. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Whoops yeah. I got confused, I was thinking it was Conductonaut.
    I've never found metal on the GPU to be a day and night difference like with CPUs. I haven't done my homework and read the whole article but I would be interested in knowing how they applied it - did they apply it in the HS too. Also with metal it's ever more sensitive to getting the pressure and pads height right. It's hard to scientifically replicate tests or call any of the reviews definitive. However because it is so fickle on the GPU it does make a lot more sense for people to just use conventional pastes and let the thickness take out all the surface pressure guesswork.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Moo

Reputations:
    With laptop CPU's metal paste doesn't do a whole lot. I do like Kryonaut a lot now though. I still use IC Diamond on a system I need to paste and let it go (like friends or family) because it has a solid track record and really doesn't need to ever be replaced that I've found. Kryonaut, I don't know yet, haven't used it for extended periods.

3. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I think they did apply it to both the heatsink & the GPU. I too applied it to both surfaces, and I'm certain that my heatsink makes very flat contact with my GPU core - it's a really good flat mate (not the kind that leaves all the dirty dishes in the sink - ha!) - so I'm quite certain that my liquid metal vs Kryonaut temperature comparisons are valid - only 1 degC difference between the two.

4. Robbo99999

Robbo99999 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Kryonaut is my favourite paste now, it's given me the lowest temps I've ever seen (apart from liquid metal, but that's only 1 degC less). I've had Kryonaut on my laptop CPU since Jan 2016, and it doesn't need repasting yet, all cores are still within a couple of degrees of each other, etc. I'm done experimenting with liquid metal - I'll keep using it on CPU delids but that's all.

TBoneSan likes this.
  5. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't blame you either bro. I don't know why but metal on the GPU has never left a lasting impression on me - I've never lost any sleep going without. Delid on the CPU though.. metal is where it's at.
    I should ask some of the DM3 users with 1080 SLI what they think overall. I used metal on a single 1080, it made no difference but I was using the stock thermal pads.

Robbo99999 likes this.
  6. jaug1337

jaug1337 de_dust2

Reputations:
    I just want to fair in and say the better the cooler and heatsink, the larger the impact liquid metal provides.

Greater value is provided once OC'ing comes into the picture, next to some good fujipoly thermal pads.

7. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I've been considering a move to Kryonaut personally. With you on ICD, it's pretty much one and done unless you really mess it up.

8. daysarelost

daysarelost Newbie

Reputations:
    I love this case. A bit pricey but its elegant and getting custom cables made it a charm. Now i am running full SSD with very minimal cable slack and its quiet AF!

9. TBoneSan

TBoneSan Laptop Fiend

Reputations:
    Same. I'm still loving it. I'm surprised how silent it is - even under full load.